"Smart" breaking system on RV?

My Rv came with this braking system already on it. RV dealership says they can't hook this up to my car and trying to get me to go with brake buddy, which would cost me another $1200. I am curious if anyone currently has this SMART braking system on their RV?

Thanks !

LEN

Re: "Smart" breaking system on RV?

SMART braking system sounds like it is a trailer braking system and this would require brakes(electric) on the trailer/car. I did a search and can't find the SMART braking system. The brake buddy will do the job and look around for a better price, they are a bit high.

LEN

I just got my Saturn equipped to be towed with all four wheels down. I want to use the breaking system on the car and I would like to use the sameone (SMART) since it came with the RV and it's already hooked up to the RV, which is a 35 ft. class A.

LEN

Tell us what the SMART braking system is. I can't find it on the net. Is it a controler? Or is it something like the system that uses a cable, like a surge braking system, to activate the cars own brakes?

LEN

The smart braking system is used to send a message to the cars brakes through the vacum line which tells it to stop the car. I am most likely going to purchase a buddy brake, however, I need to find out pricing and installation cost? Funds are running low after spending $1200 getting my car equipped for towing !

LEN

The brake buddy should be in the $900 range for new and in the $500 used and you can install yourself or just a few minutes for a pro. Advantage of the BB is you can move it from toad to toad without a bunch of new parts. How ever the Smart system does sound interesting. Still can't find a web site on it.

LEN

Triple E

LEN

I didn't relate to the smart brake you were talking about was the SMI system or I think it is. If this is what you are taking about, you are correct in wanting to use this system. It does help to tell us the type of RV you have when asking a question or I guess we should ask as in this case I think you have a DP "air brakes".

http://www.smibrake.com/

LEN

Len- It is the SMIBRAKE....sorry ! I have a '2004 Damon challenger with a Chevy chasis. My car is a Saturn Ion. They guy at the RV dealer says that the signals don't work as well because of the interference from cell phones? I would also have to order the wiring for my car, which shouldn't be that expensive. The big down side is that it can't transfer from vehicle to vehicle like the brake buddy.

I would really like to beable to use what's currently on the RV if it can't save me some $$$$.

Triple E

Here is an address to Peter Schuck. info@smibrake.com This guy works for SMI and is very helpful. Good Luck.

P.s. Lets us know what happens. Please, Thank you.