solar panels, batteries and generators

Howdy all!! Total RV newb here. We just bought a 26 foot Four Winds trailer (as in JUST!...installing the brake controller now and picking it up in about an hour!!).

Most of our camping will be at non powered sites. So my question is whats the best way to have lots of juice for lights etc. I don't need power for TV's, hair dryers, etc...but just want to be able to keep lights on at night for reading, playing cards etc. oh and maybe run a DC coffee maker.

The trailer has only one 12v Marine. Should I go with two 6 volts in series? Buy myself a solar panel? what size?....or look for a good generator and get it properly hooked up? What about those cheap little power inverters just to run the coffee maker?

Thanks in advance...I'll sit with my popcorn and listen to you experts.

TexasClodhopper

Re: solar panels, batteries and generators

The best thing you can do is get a Honda 2000 generator.

Run on AC when you need that extra power for a regular coffee maker or microwave or TV and to recharge your battery. You could even run a small A/C on occasion.

Two big 6 volt batteries can provide longer running times than one 12 volt battery, but will cost more and weigh more.

Thanks so much, Texas. That clears up a lot for me. Appreciate the wealth of experience in this forum.

larryccf1

RE: solar panels, batteries and generators

on this subject, what kind of power or battery life do you guys look for from 2 12V 100amp hour deep cycle batteries -
ie, will it power, thru an inverter, a 19" TV for a few hours, maybe use a coffeemaker for one or two pots, some lights before retiring

curious

(i assume generator or shore power for A/C or furnace

DL Rupper

Not long enough. My 2 12 V batteries don't last too long, but I keep a charge on them with my onboard generator . I only run it in the mornings and night to keep up with Fox News and charge the batteries.

Tex hit it on the head. A portable Honda will work just fine. Actually Kenneth at Grandview Trailer Sales can probably make you a good deal on a Kimpor generator. I think it's made in China, but Kenneth says they are good and he's a straight shooter. You can contact him under New RV Dealers on the left column of this Forum. If you wait longer enough he will probably respond to this thread.

RvRover

RE: solar panels, batteries and generators

I think you should look at getting a couple more of these batteries and keeping a extra charge on hand. that way when you run your generator you will be using it to its full capacity. Or you could get some solar cells and place them in the sun during the day and get your charge on there. Might even be better to go with a combination of methods so you always have energy to spare.

C Nash

Well at least he gave so information with his free ad :laugh: