some questions from a newbie

spearson99

I have done some camping in the past but never in a fully equipped RV. I have just purchased a new toy hauler, a Mckenzie Dune Seeker and have some questions that I would appreciate some comments on:

1/ how much propane does a fridge/freezer unit consume. Let's base this on a 20lb bottle...how long will it last?2

2/ do these modern units use 12V from the vehicle it is hooked to (while running) to charge the batter? Is there an aftermarket or wiring procedure to do that? (it seems if you are driving for 4 or 5 hours it would be a good opportunity to use the alternator to top up the battery)

3/ when hooking up to site water, do you need a regulator of is the RV plumbed to accept standard water pressure?

4/ what is the best way to level my unit. I have jacks in each corner and had anticipated putting a small level on the counter and working up and down and across....is this it?

5/ any special advice from the toy haulers out there with respect to issues hauling bikes and 4 wheelers and then using the same area for living??

That's it for now.

Scott

TexasClodhopper

Re: some questions from a newbie

Scott, welcome to the forum.

1. I've used my MH propane for a whole summer, but my frig switches to AC when it's available, so I don't have good experience with 'boondocking' propane use.

2. Tow vehicle recharging probably depends on the model. It certainly wouldn't be an electrical problem to wire into your vehicles charging system, but it might cause more problems than it's worth. I think you should be seriously looking into purchasing a good-size generator that you can use as a backup while boondocking.

3. I use a regulator that I installed in-line to make sure water pressure doesn't get over 40 to 50 PSI. I don't want to stress those factory installed connections that are VERY difficult to get to.

4. Your method sounds OK. Leveling is for the refrigerator first, and then (for me) for the stovetop. I can't stand my fried eggs with the yoke off-center. :clown:

5. My MH is my 'toy'! I never could figure out how you keep all of the smells from those 'toys' from getting into your sleeping quarters. Like gasoline fumes or rotting river mud. However, I suppose those are really 'perfume' and 'air freshener' to you folks that have fun that way! :clown:

brodavid

That is right Tex, how I miss those smells, but soon I will have to put up with 730,JK be good to see him
it will not be as long as it had been

spearson99

Thanks for the reply TexasClodhopper. A couple things...

1/ I am looking at getting 2 Honda i2000 units and linking them together to look after the A/C. On the cooler days, I would expect one would do nicely. Any thoughts or comments on this approach?

2/ The unit has 4 scissor jacks, one on each corner. Is the intent to use those to lift the trailer to level or just take the sway out of the unit? I see there are "blocks" you can purchase and wondered if the jacks do the leveling why fool with the blocks?

3/ My 11 and 9 year old boys would have to comment on the smells...they wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks again.

TexasClodhopper

1/ One 2000 watt generator would probably handle your A/C, but it would be at the limits for starting it. I think you would be better off with one higher wattage generator for maintenance and cost to run reasons, but two would probably be easier to move around if you need to do that. Kenneth @ Grandview has recommended Kipors before.

2/ The "blocks" give you more reach in certain leveling situations, and they are lighter to carry around than the equivalent wooden blocks. The more 'junk' weight you carry; the less 'toy' weight you can carry!

3/ Boys aged 11 and 9 don't think ANYTHING stinks! :clown:

rjf7g

Scott-
Welcome to the forum. I have 1 Honda EU2000i and it will run the fan but not the compressor on my AC. This isn't an issue as I only boondock in the winter.

I have rigged up an extended run (6 gallon marine) tank for $45 bucks or so and it will allow me to run the generator under a decent load for 18 hours.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I agree with Becky, you will need two 2,000 Honda's (or Kipor's) to run your AC compressor. One Honda (or Kipor) 3,000 will run you AC, but they are heavy to move. I know, I own one.

Moving the 2,000's is easier, but you will spend more money that way. You have to purchase a parallel kit. That is usually in the ball park of $250.00.

You LEVEL the coach then STABILIZE it with your corner jacks. They are NOT leveling jacks.

SnowbirdInFlight

spearson99 - 4/28/2009 12:23 PM Thanks for the reply TexasClodhopper. A couple things... 1/ I am looking at getting 2 Honda i2000 units and linking them together to look after the A/C. On the cooler days, I would expect one would do nicely. Any thoughts or comments on this approach? 2/ The unit has 4 scissor jacks, one on each corner. Is the intent to use those to lift the trailer to level or just take the sway out of the unit? I see there are "blocks" you can purchase and wondered if the jacks do the leveling why fool with the blocks? 3/ My 11 and 9 year old boys would have to comment on the smells...they wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks again.

We recently purchased a Honda 2000 out in California. We had the opportunity to use it in Hurlburt Field, FL. It ran our AC, TV, and all lights with no problem. I was very glad because we really needed the AC during the day and I gotta have my TV, lol. It had no trouble starting the AC or running it. BTW, we have a 38 foot Travel Trailer and it kept it cool.

spearson99

Good point on the stabilizing vs. leveling. I suppose that does make sense.

I am reading a lot about the Kipor gen sets. It sounds like they are the same as the Honda but less money. I understand also that the 2000 watt units can be tied together for larger jobs.

What does everyone think about these units vs the Honda? Are there any chain stores that deal in them...i don't recall seeing the units in any of my travel.

Thanks to all.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I sell the Kipor. They are great units and the 2000 has just had some updates as well. Yes, you can tie 2 together as long as you purchase the correct model. They do have a model that cannot be tied together.

Won't find them in retail stores. The are distributed by Coast Dist. and you will have to go to an RV dealer.

Snowbird, when you were running your AC, you wern't running anything else much. A Honda 2000 puts out 16.7 amps. A TV does not take much amperage, but that AC was pulling 13.5 -14 amps. Be glad your battery charger did not kick in!! BTW your lights were running off your battery, not the generator.

riverruby

RE: some questions from a newbie

I level from the frame. Correct the fridge and stove to match but the fridge is a must to be level to within 3 degrees. If you have scissor jacks a neat way to raise and lower is with a portable drill. I use a 18V Porter Cable(lots of torque)) with a 2speed gearbox($100 at Lowes). If you have the HD (5000 or more) jacks and are not on a slope: I use them for both leveling and stabilizing and have not collapsed one yet using them on a 27' class A.

SnowbirdInFlight

Grandview Trailer Sa - 4/30/2009 12:40 PM

I sell the Kipor. They are great units and the 2000 has just had some updates as well. Yes, you can tie 2 together as long as you purchase the correct model. They do have a model that cannot be tied together.

Won't find them in retail stores. The are distributed by Coast Dist. and you will have to go to an RV dealer.

Snowbird, when you were running your AC, you wern't running anything else much. A Honda 2000 puts out 16.7 amps. A TV does not take much amperage, but that AC was pulling 13.5 -14 amps. Be glad your battery charger did not kick in!! BTW your lights were running off your battery, not the generator.

All I know is I had power on the most important things in a trailer, the lights, the AC and my TV, lol. ;) It had a 30 amp plug on the generator so that is the stuff we run when we run on a 30 amp site. We had no trouble with it. And as I write this, the power just went out so we may have to hook it up again. :(

riverruby

RE: some questions from a newbie

About where to level from....All RV's are built from the frame up and made to be level from the frame up......check it out....level the frame, go inside, the fridge,stove,bed,toilet,tables,floor should all be level, if not I would not thro out any kudo's to the company name. If level you have a well built RV. With a good RV you can level from anything.