SPARK PLUG, HOT/ COLD

prospector ray

engine is a 350 chevy. will be doing a major tune up soon and need some info. on the choise of a hot or cold plug heat range. under normal driving conditions,(older motor). what about starting, and maybe better mileage?? thanks

C Nash

Re: SPARK PLUG, HOT/ COLD

You need to pull the old plugs and read them to determin whether to go colder or hoter.

G

u mean that is still done ,, Nash ????? but i know what u meant :approve: :approve: :approve: :laugh:

C Nash

Rod, I was hoping that Ray is old enough to know what I mean. If not, he can pm me and I'll walk him through it :laugh:

G

i ,, did the same thing in the car this weekend ,, but i did find one that was brown ,, all others were racing fuel gray ,,, gonna watch that cylinder ,, looks like i may have a vavle guide or seal leaking ,, exhaust valve was alittle wet looking ,, and since i don't run any water ,, it can only be on thing ;) ;) :approve: :approve:

C Nash

Man, the political group must have the lines tied up down this way tonight. Can't stay on line. Rod are you fuel injected or carb? Get that cyl right and bet you will pick up a littl more :approve:

G

carbed ,, nash ,,, but after a good long run this sunday,,, thru the neighbor hood :eek: :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil: :evil: ,, it looks better ,, but since i do my own head work and valve work ,,, if it does fail ,, no money outta my pocket ,,, i put in for a loan to help me with the RC ,, and i am awaiting the ck ;) ;) ;) ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Have you ever thought of going acohol (never can remember how to spell that) injection. Talk about running cool and man the different sound not to mention the boost in time and smell. I'm as bad as DL and his diesel fumes when it comes to smelling racing fuel or acohol.
Ray, know we are getting away fromyour post but want to keep it current hoping you will report back. The cold or hot issue on plugs really has nothing to do with cranking or MPG. Well in a way it does but you do have to pull them after running and see how they are burning before going away from the factory recomendations. People tend to believe that the hotter the plug the faster it will run or crank but that's not true.

G

Nash ,, i did run alky when i ran the super charged outlaw series ,, and i know it runs cold ,, the blower had frost on it ,, but i use the 120octane racing fuel ,, and also ,, sorry to get off the original post ,,, and Nash i agree ,, he needs to ck the plugs ,, this is not racing ,, but rving ,, and it is kinda the same ,, more mpg ,,, more HP (racing and rving) well enough of this ,, but still awaiting the OP to come back and see what he found ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :)

prospector ray

went with the stock plugs,the old ones were good and showing a good color pattern,but once i got them out i didn't want to be concerned with them for the next year. plugs are still one of the cheapest fixes out there.

prospector ray

went with the stock plugs,the old ones were good and showing a good color pattern,but once i got them out i didn't want to be concerned with them for the next year. plugs are still one of the cheapest fixes out there.