speedo & odometer

Discussion in 'Class A / Diesel Pushers' started by SIERRATOYZ, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SIERRATOYZ

SIERRATOYZ Junior Member

Hello: i noticed over our last trip my speedo was off about 7 miles per hour at 70 actual 63 miles per hour on gps, question does this effect the odometer or the miles per gallon ( mpg & odometer is digital )
    coach is a 2005 Damon Intruder with the workhorse chassis 8.1 chevy & allison trans original tires still on which are 22.5 radials, mpg for last 2 trips was 10.1 & 9.9 first trip thru mountains of NC about 500 miles 2nd trip to Nags head about 300 miles any ideas?
    thanks for any help

2. Bounder Boy

Bounder Boy New Member

Re: speedo & odometer

Hmmmm Can tell you that I once took a motorcycle trip with 3 others. All 4 of us were on Honda Goldwings within 2 yrs old of each other and EVERY time we stopped to fill up, we had 4 different mileage readings..... so go figure. :question:

BB

3. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

Hi Fred, I also have a 8.1 with an Allison tranny but it is in a Fleet wood South wind. I don't think I get those GPM going down hill. I drive at 65 mph as much as I can and my GPS is showing the same speed. . So I would imagine if you are running at 65 you are actually running 7 less and getting better mileage.

4. Bounder Boy

Bounder Boy New Member

Fred: does your GPS by chance also have the DTG (distance to go) feature reading? You could compare that to the Odometer and see how far off it is....
    BB

5. Clay L

Clay L Senior Member

6. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Sounds as though the odometer is also off. I average around 8MPG in our HR 32 ft with the V10 ford 2002 model. Just leave it alone because it sounds good getting better MPG. M speedometer and GPS are right together and the mile markers on the hw agree with my odometer

7. Triple E

Triple E Senior Member

8. Clay L

Clay L Senior Member

9. SIERRATOYZ

SIERRATOYZ Junior Member

RE: speedo & odometer

thanks for all the responses, i will check the gps next time for miles to go
    thanks
    Fred