Starting Problems

Aceventura

Well there seems to be no end lately, one thing after another ect.Basically 1979 Tioga,New Edelbrock, leads, plugs, air filter, dizzy cap, rotor arm, pcv valve, battery and all vac lines.But! when shes up to temperature and i switch off then go to resart shes just not playing in the same team.The first turn sounds like the battery is about finished,then after second or third turn possibly she will catch and start,once in a blue moon, but more often than not nothing,flat battery.Timing tested and fine im informed as when shes running its sweet but a quick swift drop of the gas and theres a back fire.Tips? it was suggested that the odd VW camper on the island has a similar problem which is caused by the high normal temperatures but seems odd. :(

akjimny

Re: Starting Problems

Steve, you might have a weak starter. Some engines are prone to overheating the starter and then it doesn't work so good. Does the engine turn over okay when cold? If it does and only gives you problems when hot, that might be it. Solution to overheated starters are 1) Heat shield to keep it from getting too hot or 2) a gear reduction starter with more "oomph."

As for the backfire when decelerating, that sounds like a carburetor problem. It maybe passing too much fuel even with the butterflies closed. When the rich mix hits the exhaust system - boom - you get a backfire. I'm kinda poking and hoping here - haven't fiddled with a carb in years.

Goof luck over there and maybe one of our qualified mechanics will have more info. :) :)

C Nash

The hot start problem was pretty common on the chevy engine. As Jim there is a shield that covers the solonoid and if the starter has ever been remove some mechanics are bad to leave the shield off. Some models early models came w/o the shield. As Jim said it might be time for a new starter. The backfire is probably caused by some of the smog controls. Does yours have the smog pump with the tubes runing into the exhaust manifold? Do you still have the mfg exhaust system manifolds or headers?

larry koenn

Ace,
It sounds to me like you have one of two problems. First check and make sure you have not crossed any spark plug wires. Second, and I think this is your problem, You have the timing too advanced. Back off the timing a bit and see if the problem goes away. Having the timing very much past TDC on start up will cause very hard starting problems. It makes the engine hard to turn over, and also will cause backfire on quick gas application.

Larry

C Nash

Well I will have to disagre on the advanced timing causing backfire on quick acceleration. Backing down on the timing would cause this problem to be worse. I agree it could help on the start problem. Might also want to ck advance springs in the dist. The hot saturation start problem was common in this years models. The starter is probably just getting a little to hot from the manifolds. Have you cked it since you posted for a shield?

larry koenn

Chelse,

Getting the timing way ahead of TDC will cause very hard starting and you will get backfire problems on quick gas peddle pushes. I've been there and done that.

We used to remove all the advance stuff on our outlaw race cars. We never put on starters. We set the advance at 45 degrees. We had to push start these cars along with everyone else, a starter wouldn't work, especially, when they were warm. You could do the 45 degree thing with about any engine and get a wider power curve. The reason regular cars and trucks use a vacuume advance and centrifical advance is to deliver power, and milage, at higher RPM and still have a low or zero advance for starting. When your going down the highway at +2000 RPM you're probably at close to 45 degrees advanced. Most motors are set to start anywhere from 6 degrees before TDC to Zero before TDC. You'll have serious starting problems at around 20 before TDC.

G

I have to go with nash on this ,, where do u think backfire is ,, it is on decell ,, i have never heard of a back fire on accell ,, yes a pop thru the carb ,, but not a backfire ,, the popping back thru the intake is why we have to have blow out plugs on our Drag motors ,, and they have magnitos,, but i am done with this ,, it's an old post anyway ,, not worth the time

Aceventura

Its a definate backfire,when shes ticking over and you give the throttle a quick burst everytime theres a backfire.I will go back to the starter/solenoid heatsheild at the weekend first and as for the timing well this has bothered me since i got her.With everything else replaced also tried a manual choke,shes taking at least four turns when cold to start............

C Nash

If its backfiring on acceleration I would ck into intake valve problems. Check for cam lift on #1 cyl. Lobe was bad to wear down on this cyl. Weak valve spring is another possible cause. I would also ck the dist. centrifical advance. Time could also be to low and cause backfire. Maybe someone dropped the time trying to correct the hot start. If there is no heat shield you will have this problem. Lots of others things should be cked for backfire such as cracked plug, bad wires or even crossed wires. If the backfire is on deacceleration it opens up a lot of other possibilities. Keep us posted

G

good point nash ,, and i'll add one more ,, u might have a really bad stretched timing chain and it may have even jumped a tooth or so or the cam gear is so worn out that it is really outta time ,, some of the older chevy engines had the fiber cam gear ,, and it was a known fact to wear as was the camshaft as nash said ;)

LEN

Test the ignition, spark, had a blown motor that couldn't figure why it did the backfire thing and came down to low spark. Everything on the motor was new but the spark level was low, just not enough under load.

LEN

snap

RE: Starting Problems

steve i may be able to get to the bottom of your problem but first lets verify what your really saying ? first do you have two problems. hard starting .and second is the backfire when running down the road or is it while your trying to start it ? if its when your going down the road does it backfire when push the pedal down quickly or is it when you let up quickly. one place you say when its ticking over do you mean cranking over as in starting or do yourmean running. please reply back and be more specific on every thing your saying because it will make it alot easier
for me to help. Oh also is the backfire under the hood or out the exhust pipe?????????