Suburban and TT

103sky

We have a 2500 Suburban with a tow package. The max towing is 7500 and our GCWR is 14,000. The vehicle weighs 7200 with us in it and a full tank of gas. The trailer dealer said to take off 20% of the max tow rate (down to 6000) due to our altitude in Colorado. He said I could pull a TT that is 5000 unloaded. I was wondering what your thoughts are, since would that mean that our GCWR should drop from 14,000 to 12000 (due to the 20% discount)? If so, aren't we at the GCWR max just with us and our trailer unloaded???
Thanks!

Triple E

Re: Suburban and TT

I am not sure about the 20% you are talking about but I will try to answer your question. If your suburban is rated as a half ton vehicle, you do not want to haul more than 5,000 lbs. This is just about your limit. If you vehicle is a 3/4 ton go for it. Just be careful how you load your trailer and haul just enough water to get you where you are going. Remember water weight is 8.33 pounds per gallon.;) JMHO. Also welcome to the forum. Please keep us posted on what you do. Good luck. :)

:8ball:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Suburban and TT

A 2500 is 3/4 ton...Your dealer is probably right about the altitude, I think you can trust his judgement. He is not telling you "you can tow anything you want".