Suggestions

HorseMarine

I'm new to this and looking to retire and live full time on the road. My dilemma is what to buy. I want to carry my HD Road King and either tow a car or a trailer with a truck. Should I get a class A with a bike lift and tow a small car, or a 1/2 ton pickup (putting the bike in that) and then towing a decent size trailer? Any feedback is deeply appreciated.

G

it all depends on what kinda budget u have to buy ,, if i want class A ,, they make some toy haulers ,, but in the range of 100k to 500k ,, depending on what u want in them ,, some TT toy haulers will cost less ,,, but they will require a big truck to tow them ,, this is JMO ,, if it were me i would go with a upper end class A toy hauler ,, but again JMO ,, i am prone to liking a class A

akjimny

Hi HorseMarine and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. Like Rod said - it all depends on your budget. You could:

1. Get a Class A with a motorcycle lift and tow a small car (toad).

2. Get a Class A and tow a pickup (toad) with the motorcycle in the back.

3. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup (1/2 ton is too small), carry the motorcycle in the back and get a bumper-tow trailer.

4. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup (1/2 ton is too small), get a toy hauler trailer and put the motorcycle in the back of the trailer.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Class A's are expensive. Big enough trucks are expensive. Motorcycle in the back of a toy hauler is kinda stinky in your living quarters.

If budget is no object, I'd go with the Class A, tow a truck and put the bike in the bed of the truck. I envy you your choice. Post back and let us know what you get.:):)

Steve H

Not sure of your age but I am 61. There is no way I could safely get my Electra Glide up into the bed of a pickup truck without some type of a winch system and a friend to help. A Toy hauler allows one to drive right in. Toy Haulers are very heavy...I would consider a 1-ton truck for towing or go with the Class A Toy Hauler if there is such a thing!

Best Wishes!

rhd47

Steve H;79464 said:
Not sure of your age but I am 61. There is no way I could safely get my Electra Glide up into the bed of a pickup truck without some type of a winch system and a friend to help. A Toy hauler allows one to drive right in. Toy Haulers are very heavy...I would consider a 1-ton truck for towing or go with the Class A Toy Hauler if there is such a thing!

Best Wishes!

Just joined the forum so this is my first post. Thor Motor Coach makes one: http://outlawrv.com/

akjimny

Hi rhd47 and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. The Class A you mentioned is pretty neat except for one thing - either you park the bike outside so you can lower the rear bed or you sleep on the hide-a-bed sofa. So, sleep in a stinky garage on a queen bed or sleep on a maybe comfortable sleeper-sofa.

Steve, in answer to your post, I have seen a rig at Bike Week and Biketoberfest that mounts in the bed of a pickup that lowers a platform to the ground. Drive the bike on, latch it down, and push a button. It raises up into the bed and you can then tow a trailer with the truck. Or tow the truck behind your motorhome.

Me - I put the bike on a trailer behind the motorhome and go from there. Bike got a little dirty on the Alcan, but made the trip just fine.:):)

Steve H

akjimny;80346 said:
Me - I put the bike on a trailer behind the motorhome and go from there. Bike got a little dirty on the Alcan, but made the trip just fine.:):)

Awesome! Time for a covered trailer :)

rhd47

akjimny;80346 said:
Hi rhd47 and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. The Class A you mentioned is pretty neat except for one thing - either you park the bike outside so you can lower the rear bed or you sleep on the hide-a-bed sofa. So, sleep in a stinky garage on a queen bed or sleep on a maybe comfortable sleeper-sofa.

Not so....There is a queen loft bed in the main part of the coach with a nice stair case(not ladder) leading up to it..I have seen this first hand. My problem with this coach is that it is gas, I prefer diesel.

Thank you for the " Welcome ".

akjimny

Okay - was a little hard to tell from the website's floor plan. How big is the garage part if there is a bedroom mounted over it? Too bad about being a gasser. I too prefer diesel - just can't afford one now.:):)

rhd47

akjimny;80581 said:
Okay - was a little hard to tell from the website's floor plan. How big is the garage part if there is a bedroom mounted over it? Too bad about being a gasser. I too prefer diesel - just can't afford one now.:):)

http://outlawrv.com/floorplans.php Click on floorplan to enlarge

Regular sized garage for a toyhauler, about 8x10, ceiling about 7'. Nice loft bedroom about 3-4 feet high. Good video on the web site. IMHO this would be a nice coach for a single person, MAYBE a couple. I'd like one but I have a Ram 3500 dually, wanting to buy a 5th wheel toyhauler.