suspension airbags, motor /compressor info needed?

wilf

hi i have a question for anyone who knows about the motor or compressor that inflates the suspension airbags,

i was leveling out the rv the other day i drove it onto a couple of 2x6 blocks to level it out a bit and something in the engine compartment started making a loud noise i checked it out and it was coming from the box that i think holds the compressor for the airbags? i sounded real loud so i shut of the engine and backed off the blocks , started it again and it was still going,
after a few minutes i tried starting the engine again and there was no more noise? how do these things work do they pump air all the time or is it something that happens periodicaly? could putting the wheels on blocks have anything to do with it or just coincidence? any help appreciated, thanks

wilf

RE: suspension airbags, motor /compressor info needed?

forgot to say the mh is a 93 fleetwood coronado 27' a class

LEN

Re: suspension airbags, motor /compressor info needed?

Is it a Diesel pusher? If so the air compressor cycles off and on as air is needed. If not is it a class C and gas if so I doubt you have air bags. Either way I don't think pulling onto the blocks had anything to do with a compressor.

LEN

wilf

hi Len, its a 93 fleetwood coronado gas, it has airbags the pipes from the front airbags lead to the box inside the dash that must have the compressor in it
( thats where the noise was coming from and pretty loud, dont know how loud they are normally? )
just dont know how the airbags actually work does the compressor just come on now and then like when the air in the bags drop if so do they loose air over a period of time, i have only had it a month and probably only drove 500 miles so far so i am new to all this stuff so i dont know if the compressor coming on is a normal thing as i said it did stop when i turned the ignition back on and i drove it probably 20 miles and it hasn't come on again ?

elkhartjim

On a DP, there are two air "storage tanks". The compressor is not piped direct to the air bags. Air is supplied to the air bags from one tank and the other is strictly for the air brakes. I've personally never heard of air on a gasser.

wilf

all i can see is there is a pipe that comes out of the box in the engine compartment which goes to a type of switch with 2 wires on it then it comes out of that and tees into 2 pipes that go to the front suspension theres another pipe comes into the engine compartment with a air line conection on it i think thats to let air out ?
the guy i bought it off told me it had airbags in the suspension, i looked at another one for sale a 93 fleetwood flair that was gas and it had airbags too ? maybe they were put on after market,
i just dont know how the compressor on them works? does it come on all the time or just periodically if anyone knows how it actually works and if it is realy loud when it comes on let me know , thanks

LEN

What you are hearing is most likely the 12volt compressor about the same as came/comes on the Cadillac's. On the pushers the air comes from a compressor on the motor and has several storage tanks. The air bags are controlled by a machanical switch that is hooked from above the air bag to below the air bag, when the bag is crushed the switch allows air in and when stretched lets air out. Most likely this is how yours works too only with the 12 volt compressor.

LEN