toad brakes

dfedora

I just bought a vehicle small enough for me to consider to be towed . 2007 Jeep Wrangler 2 door.
I p/u a blue ox alpha tow bar used. I also found the correct blue ox base plate on Craig list in Florida being shipped .

My question is brakes there are lots of different brakes out there including a surge brake on your tow bar with a cable pulling on your toad brake pedal ?? I know a lot of you do tow so is there a better type than others ? If most of you use Brake buddy or the blue ox are used ones safe? Do they need a lot of maint. seals ,air motors Ect.
I"m planning a trip back up to AK for 2011 if at all possible.I did not feel safe without a toad in tow for a 6 month trip. I don't feel my gas bill will go up to much with a small toad or at least hoping.

Wishing All a Merry Christmas
Thanks
Dick

28' 2005 classC Ford 450 V10 6.8 l
2007 Jeep Wranglertoad (almost)

airspeed

RE: toad brakes

Brakes on toads are required in most states. Brake Buddy is a good product. We used one for about 3 years then a seal let loose, Brake Buddy repaired it free but I had to pay for shipping back to them.

C Nash

Re: toad brakes

I have used the Ready Brake system for 8 yr with no problem. Have towed 40 k miles wich includes a trip to Alaska. Toad came loose in Canada and the brake system worked fine. Brakes came on the toad and I just eased to the road side. No problem. I would not br without a brake system on the toad.

airspeed

C Nash - 12/19/2010 9:33 PM

I have used the Ready Brake system for 8 yr with no problem. Have towed 40 k miles wich includes a trip to Alaska. Toad came loose in Canada and the brake system worked fine. Brakes came on the toad and I just eased to the road side. No problem. I would not br without a brake system on the toad.

What caused the toad to come loose?

C Nash

Ed, don't know for sure but I have never sheared the 5/8 pin that holds the tow bar in the receiver. it was gone. We had stopped at a truck stop for dinner and the one time I failed to check the hitch it bit me. Think someone may have pulled the pin key and it worked out. I have heard that some jokesters will do this. It now has a lock and I ck it after all stops. I was going about 55 when it came loose. Saw it was loose in the rear monitor and just eased to the side of the road. The toad braking system worked perfect and it came to a stop right behind the MH. Did bend the bottom of the ladder. Had a spare pin so reinstalled the tow bar and we were on our way.

airspeed

C Nash - 12/20/2010 8:05 PM

Ed, don't know for sure but I have never sheared the 5/8 pin that holds the tow bar in the receiver. it was gone. We had stopped at a truck stop for dinner and the one time I failed to check the hitch it bit me. Think someone may have pulled the pin key and it worked out. I have heard that some jokesters will do this. It now has a lock and I ck it after all stops. I was going about 55 when it came loose. Saw it was loose in the rear monitor and just eased to the side of the road. The toad braking system worked perfect and it came to a stop right behind the MH. Did bend the bottom of the ladder. Had a spare pin so reinstalled the tow bar and we were on our way.

Wow! You were very lucky.

dfedora

RE: toad brakes

Thanks for the responses

Chelse I did look at the Ready Brake before I posted my questions. It sure is simple and seems trouble free and reasonably priced. Its refreshing to know you have used it for 8 years and happy and trouble free service.
Do you leave the wire rope connected to your brake pedal all the time? It just seems awkward having it there.

I had not heard of the SMI system But looked at it tonight. Thanks I'll keep it in mind. I would have to use the Stay in play system . Maybe its simple to install but I would need to read it a few more times to figure out the prints. They stated it comes with a CD for installations. Steve did you install your system? I guess its a dual system.

Thanks Again
Dick

C Nash

Dick, yes the small cable stays hooked to the prake pedal but I don't even know it's there. Just be sure to route the cable away from any moving parts such as the steering. I also have the indicator light that mounts in the MH dash to let me know it is working on the toad.

Triple E

No I have not bought it yet. What I like about it is you do not have to have it plug into the C-lighter and discharging the battery. There is on other that I like that is somewhat like the SMI but I will be darn if I can remember the brand.