Torque Wrench help

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by smilinjohn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. smilinjohn

smilinjohn New Member

I'm so new and have lots and lots of questions popping into my head.

What should I consider getting......a 1/2" or 3/4" drive 'torque socket wrench', calibrated in foot-pounds?

I need, as I understand, to maintain torque of several nuts on the travel trailer.....wheel lug nuts, tow vehicle hitch and equilizer / sway hitch nuts. So far I'm required to maintain wheel lug nuts @ 95-100, 5/8" nuts @ 120 and [ 3/4" nuts @ 300 foot-pounds or 150 ft-lbs. + 1/4-turn ]. I'm not opposed to having two torque wrenches, if necessary.

Perhaps, I errored when I ordered a 2" ball, with a 1-1/4" threaded shank, requiring 450 ft-lbs. torque on the nut; where I could have gotten by using a 1" shank + 1/8" bushing, with a required nut torque of 250 ft.-lbs. I suppose I'll have to become a frequent visitor to my local farm implement dealer to locate a 450 pounder for that 1-1/4" nut.

Any help / suggestions you can send my way is appreciated. Where to buy would be good, too.

:) John
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

RE: Torque Wrench help

a 1/2 torque wrench will do all of those .. but buy a good one ,, say from a Snap on dealer or such ,, i have one that does not have anything less then 90 ftlbs for the lowest ,, for any thing lower i use a inch lb torque wrench ,, but i am glad u are thinking abut the torqueing of stuff on ur' rv ,, most don;t even bother with it ,, evn though not reallly that i do it ,, myself ,, but very few never think to ck thier wheels on the RV :eek: :)