Towing a Smart Car

AnneChisholm

We are new to RVing and plan to become full-timers this fall. We hope to tow a Smart Car with a 36' motorhome. Mercedes, the manufacturer of the car, does not recommend towing the Smart Car but several people seem to be doing it. Any advice?

H2H1

I sure would like to have one to use, but I think I would put it on a small trailer and haul it behind my MH.

C Nash

If the manf. does not recommend it I would not. There are some after market things that can be added to a car to allow it to be towed

LEN

At the risk of being slapped. On IRV2 forum look for Happycarz he hangs out on the Monaco forum and tows a Smartcar 4 down

LEN

LEN

Lawyers and $$$$$$$$$. You can tow lots of cars 4 down and it is OK. However people are so "get $ for any reason" that some company's just say don't tow, covers they butt.

LEN

Boyde31

I wouldn't do it. It seems to me those things could be ripped apart very easily. They are so small and look fragile to me. I would put it on a trailer.

LEN

Was just looking at one today. They have a roll cage that is to Nascar standards wrapped all around you then a plastic body, so I don't think you will pull it apart. The biggest thing would be remembering it is back there, it's so small.

LEN

corvetteguy77

I don't think it would hurt anything, unless the car was just really fragile. Ive never owned a smart car though, so I wouldn't know