Towing- How much weight?

litenup

I need a small bumper-pull camper to go behind my '94 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 4 liter v6, auto trans, trailer brakes. The owner's manual rates the truck at pulling 3500#, minus 1% for every 1000 feet of elevation. I camp around 9-10000 feet. Am looking at a 1980 Fleetwood Wilderness 16 foot unit, owner does not know the weight of it. I'd like to stay under 2500#, is this the camper for me? Any guess at the weight of this unit? Thanks in advance from this newbie.

C Nash

Re: Towing- How much weight?

Welcome to the forum. My guess is no. Sounds like you might have to stay with a pop up to tow at that elevation. JMO

DL Rupper

A small V-6 auto trans won't handle/tow much weight. I would look for a pop up or buy a new truck.

H2H1

Hello Mark, if I was you I would listen to this guys. They very smart and I put a lot of trust in them. So if Nash and DL said it to much then I go with that. Now DL will also tell you to get a Dodge diesel because he just love the dodge, Nash I don't know his taste in Trucks but ether way they are one of the best out there and their info is free. BTW WELCOME TO THE FOURM :laugh: :laugh:

dbl-d

I also would agree with NAsh & DL. I would suggest replaing your Ranger. I just replaced my '97 Ranger with a F150 Lariat for $22K. Over 13K off the sticker price.

gotta luv high gas prices ;)

litenup

Thanks to all. I love my Ranger, it has the 4 liter 6 which i'm told is the 5 L v8 block minus 2 cylinders. It makes much better torque than the 3 l v6. If I'm careful I can get 22 MPG, unloaded. Also, it has only 91K miles and is paid off. I have an old 13 ft. hardside camper that weighs 1500#, the Ranger does well with it. Good for hunting, too small to really enjoy it for extended periods. Maybe a bigger truck is in my future. We had a popup, it was kind of complicated to set up, not that durable, we were glad to see it go away.