Towing question

Violet22251

Is it necessary to have a braking system installed with your tow package? We plan to tow a Ford Focus and wonder if the braking system(which is rather expensive) is necessary. Thanks!

Violet,sure is early to post but here goes.For safty reasons yes it helps stop in a emergency,plus many states now require you to have one.Just came in off the road and many MHs do not use them.Myself I do and believe me when the first IDIOT jumps in front of you and applys the breaks you will wish you had one.What size MH and check your states requirements.If you do decide to go this route,check every possible hookup.I would not go with mine again as it is a little hard to hook up.

LEN

YES YES and YES you need and by law in most states and Canada must have it installed. If you were in an accident and not installed you would be hanging out big time for liability and your insurance most likely would not be good. Plus the safety factor, these big rigs are hard to stop add another 4000# with the toad, going down hill on a 7% grade, you just may burn up your brakes. Look around there are plenty of used units for half the new cost.

LEN

vanole

Totally agree with wildcatervin and Len concerning supplemental braking being installed. Yes many used units are out their like Len mentioned. Shop around like mentioned and ask other folks what they like and dislike about their systems. I have the Air Force One system by SMI. I like it but hate the price but the peace of mind is priceless irregardless of what system you choose.

C Nash

I agree. I have the readybrake system which is very simple and cost less than most systems. If set up right works great.

Byrdman

I had the same issue when we were RV ing. We had a Alfa Gold with 400 Cat Diesel and engine brake that we towed a jeep liberty without a braking system and never had issues, in fact it pulled so well (good hitch easy to connect, that's where we spent the money) I hardly noticed. I would agree that in and emergency situation it may come in handy but for day to day I never had a problem and we went to california, vegas (plenty of mountains) without problems.