Towing Question

SDBURTO

Hi,
I have a 2007 Nissan Titan CC 4x4 with the towing package. Do I have enough truck to tow a 2009 Forest River Sandpiper 291RLS?

Thanks for any help!

C Nash

Re: Towing Question

Welcome to the forum Sabrina. We would have to know the weight of the Sandpiper to give our opinion on towing ability. What does your owner manual list for towing capacity of your Nissan. The weight of the Sandpiper should be listed in one of the cabinets.

DL Rupper

The towing capacity of the Nissan should be around 10,000 lbs if it has the large V-8. I would think the Sandpiper loaded would be somewhere close to your towing capacity. The newer little 1/2 tons have a fairly decent towing capacity with the 300 + HP V-8's

SDBURTO

RE: Towing Question

Sorry...new to this.

Towing capacity for the titan is 9300 lbs
GVWR 6522
GAWR Front 3577
GAWR Rear 3800
GCWR 14850

Sandpiper dry weight 7255

I just need a straight answer. I've thoroughly confused myself by researching all the numbers. Nissan says good, trailer people say good (they would! LOL), but some other posts say that's crazy. I would get an A frame for the hitch and a sway bar. Thanks for any help!

C Nash

Think you will be close even watching how you load the trailer. Everything in the truck also has to be added. Yes you can probably tow it with the proper hitch set up but you will need to also stop. I would drop down a little on the trailer size unless you already have the FR. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

DL Rupper

Hey SDBURTO, the Sandpiper loaded weight could easily hit 9255 lbs or more. That's right at the limit of your Titan towing capacity. If you watch what you put on board the TT you could marginally get by. Just remember you have to take into account your passengers, fuel, and all you put in the Titan besides the loaded weight of the Sandpiper (water, food, clothing, propane, tools and pots and pans It adds up quickly.

I underestimated my loaded 5th wheel weight by 1,000 lbs and the loaded weight of my Dodge Ram 2500 by 1,000 lbs.
I get by OK, but I have a diesel and it doesn't bog down with the extra weight. A V-8 lacks torque and could really bog down in the hills/mountains not to mention the chassis, drive train and frame isn't beefed up to take the heavy weight a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup.

Bottom Line: You can probably get by if you watch how much you load the truck and trailer. Remember what you get moving you also have to stop.

Kirk

First of all, the trailer weight that you have to work with is the GVWR, which is the loaded weight, since you are not likely to tow if much with nothing in it. In this case that comes to 11,060#. The alternative is to load the trailer as it would be when you travel in it and then take it to a scale.

You can get a rough idea by comparing the towing capacity of your truck to the GVWR of the trailer and that will tell you no. With a fully loaded travel trailer you would exceed your max. towing weight by 1760#. Another way to approach the issue is to weigh your truck as it will be when towing. You many not be loaded to the GVWR of the truck, but without a scale ticket you should assume that you will be. If you have the actual loaded weight of your truck, you can then subtract that weight from the gross combined and the difference being you safe weight to tow, as long as it does not exceed the limit for towing.

In short, if you tow this trailer and keep within the manufacturer's limits, you will only be able to put a maximum of 2000# inside, including water, waste in the tanks, propane and everything for travel. You could do this, but you would need to be very careful about the weight when loading for travel and you should weigh the trailer after it is loaded to be safe.

A better idea would be a lighter trailer where you can tow the full GVWR of the trailer, or a bigger truck.

lasoyatang

Hi sdburto
I think you're over weight based on by set up . I have a ford f150 with a towing capacity of 7200 lbs, towing a 21' tt dry weight 4500. after loading it, full tank of gas wife and daughter using a weight distribution system I could really feel it going up hills this weekend ,sure it did it but how long can it do it with out damaging the trany , time for a up grade good luck