trailer lights

perky99

On my 2004,Tiago, 25 foot MH, I do not have power to the plug at the rear. The relay is good, I jumped the contacts and still novoltage. I know there,s 12V,s at the relay with a meter. I,m new to RVing, Have read a lot of this material on the forum, and like it very much. Thanks for your help

Triple E

Re: trailer lights

Hello perky and welcome to this forum. Have you used the rear plug before or is this a new problem also do you have any power to the plug, ie; brakes, tail lights, or the 12 volt pin?

perky99

All the other lighting works, Only had this since April, had not the occasion to use it. I bought a pontoon boat and figured it would not be a bad idea to check before I hooked up and was ready to go.
What,s the 12 pin you,re referring to? Or is that the one you actually plug your trailer into? If so nothing thereThanks

Triple E

Yes, the 12 volt pin is for a trailer or a tow car that needs power from the tow rig. So are you saying that your brake light pin and tail light pin are working? I am not sure what you are saying about what is/is not working.

:approve:

perky99

All the the light on the MH is working properly, That,s the turn signal.s, brake, running, back up, they are OK. However no power to the 12 pin, or the plug for the trailer lights. I,d turn on running , turn or what ever and with a meter, VOM (volt ohm meter) I,d check for 12 volts and don,t have any.Thanks

Triple E

The 12 volts to my trailer adapter comes from my chasse battery. The wire is fused within two feet from the battery terminal. I hope this helps. Have you plugged in your pontoon boat yet?

:8ball:

ARCHER

maybe the plug is bad? Maybe there is a short in the wiring? I know when I started using my dolly, I had to put a new plug on the MH trailer wires and use a voltmeter to make sure I had the wires in the right spot on the new plug to control.....brake, turn, running lights. di dthe plug/trailer wiring ever work before????? maybe the fuse is burned out like previous poster said?

perky99

I.m pretty sure I have power going that way, there is a number of relays, and I know there,s power going through the Normally open contacts, the contacts close when engerized,. Now the diagrams is not to clear at all.
Does it get its power from the chassey battery or house battery,s?

The adapter works on the Pu, so we know its good
I,ll just keep plugging away and keep reading this forum, nice subjects to read on a rainy day like today here in DFW area
To answer one of the other questions bout fuse,s, I have checked all of them with a meter, surly there,s not some inline hidden some where

atamians

Not sure I followed the thought completely but whenever I have trouble with trailer lights, the first thing I do is verify the trailer's ground connection. This is easily done by connecting a wire with clips on each end to the vehicle chassis and the trailer. A bad ground has been the source of more than half my troubles with trailer lights.

That's funny, as I wrote this, I thought how ironic that statement is considering my last post about my batteries.....

Chris

perky99

Great clue. Started checking wiring and what a shock, Some one before me and have no idea what they were trying to do, Sorry butt connectors, skinned wires, Oh what a terrible workmanship. Any way cut it out, extended wires for a four wire flat, soldered splices and taped, Checked for voltage, ready for the Pontoon. Thanks guys a great site, will continue to learn from you guys