Travelling to San Diego from Illinois

pepsi82

We are taking a trip to San Diego to see our son graduate from the Marines.We live in Illinois and we are leaving this weekend planning on making the trip in 3 days. We will be taking the south route by taking I44 and I40. My question is once we get into Arizona should we go through Flagstaff or drop down to Phoenix or maybe any other ideas. We are first time RVers and want to avoid as much of the moutains as possible. We have a Class A motorhome so we definitely need travelling experience before attempting mountain driving. Our son moved up our purchase time for the RV. Any help you could gives us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

H2H1

Welcome to the forum. And tell your son, thanks for his service. We have been to Flagstaff and it not bad driving, but we did not drive thru Flagstaff to SD. But, after looking on the map it looks like a drop down to Phoenix. Take I-40 from Oak City, OAK to Flagstaff , take I-17 South to Phoenix, then take I-10 South to I-8 West at CASA GRANDE that will take you into San Diego. I hope this helps you out, but 3 days is pushing it IMO. In order to reach your goal of 3 days you will going real fast or driving for a long time per day. But never the less, be careful. If parking over night and not in a park, be sure your are protected, keeps doors locked and secured (even in a park). I have read reports where some time someone will yell FIRE to get you open the door, from there the crap(sh**) breaks open. So be careful.

pepsi82

Thanks for the info. We are planning on staying at RV parks, that way we could empty tanks and fill up with water.