TT Battery

DEWar Dave

Hey all....

I have a couple of questions. The TT has been parked for about 5 weeks.

The digital clock on the Radio/CD/DVD Player for the TV is always on. I am guessing this is one reason why the battery is dead on the TT. Is there a safe way to disconnect the cables on the battery and will this save a charge in it when reconnected?

How long does it take for the battery to recharge from the vehicle that is pulling it?

Also, if I hook up to my truck as if I were going to pull it, would an immediate charge flow through the battery to operate the slideout?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

utmtman

Re: TT Battery

What amount of time are you talking about for your battery to go dead. With just the digital clock radio it should hold a charge for 6 months much like a car. They only pull a few milliamps to run. I would look at putting trickle charger on the batteries from time to time while in storage. To unhook battery just unhook on of the main battery connections either on the battery or on the switch that it runs to. Charge time from your vehicle to your trailer may vary depending on your vehicle alternator output, wire sizes at the connections, number and size of tt batteries.

DEWar Dave

In storage for about 5-6 weeks. Any idea what else would be pulling a charge from the battery other than the digital clock? What is a trickle charger?

Does it matter which connection on the battery I remove? Don't want to blow anything up, including myself. :laugh:

Thanks,
Dave

C Nash

You can get a battery disconnect switch from walmart for under 5 dollars. It connects on the battery post and has a twist on and off. Generally located at the battery display. Works fine if you have easy access to your batt. If you have a fridge , co , propane detector they will also draw on the battery.

DEWar Dave

Thanks Len and Nash.... $5 sounds a lot better. I have a fridge, tank sensors, co detector, propane detector and water heater. So, buying this battery disconnect switch should help and the next time I go back to the TT and switch the battery back to being on, it should have juice? Is this something that always stays mounted on the battery post?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

DEWar Dave

Quick question:

I have a 7500W generator, any idea how long it will take to charge the battery if I just plug in the shoreline to the generator?

Dave

ARCHER

The converter/charger is what should be charging the battery, not the generator by itself. If the battery was fully charged and you disconnected it, it should be ok when you need it the next time, unless it is a bad battery and then it would need replaced. The battery disconnect should stay connected all the time IMO. The generator is to be used when there is no shorepower available. The shorepower is used to supply power to the unit when the generator is not in use, the batteries (house batteries they call them) provide power to run the circuit boards on the hot water tank, the furnace, the fridge and 12 volt lights. The converter supplies power for the twelve volt stuff and also charges the batteries. Make sure the batteries have water (distilled) in them and the terminals are clean. Just a few comments. Good luck ;)

ARCHER

Sorry, forgot to ask. What kind of TT is it, and how old? I have a 2008 TT and it has a twelve volt (battery) disconnect already installed in the entertainment area in a cabinet. When I had my MH, I left it sit for approximately 6 months each year and what I did was disconnect the engine battery hot lead and turned off the aux battery switch. I know you have a TT so it is somewhat different.

C Nash

Dave, the disconnect switch from wally world stays on the battery. Very small and works fine just be sure connections are tight.

DEWar Dave

I have a 2008 Keystone Laredo TT. I did buy the disconnect switch at Wally World.

Headed for Corpus Christi in a few hours and have a spot with electricity on Mustang Island, so with a 4 hour drive and constant power, the battery should be good to go next time with the disconnect switch in place.

Thanks again!
Dave

DEWar Dave

Had a great time at the beach, even though our late night BBQ on the beach got rained on. We took the TT instead of staying in a hotel for a softball college exposure tourney. Next trip will be strictly camping!

For some reason, I couldn't get the switch on the battery.... seemed like it was the wrong size. I think I will just keep it in my garage until the next time we take it out. Everything else went great! Kinda windy on the way back to Houston. Still getting used to pulling this thing and the swaying.

Dave

C Nash

Glad your trip turned out ok Dave other than the rain. Do you have the sway bars on the hitch? Which post was you trying to install yhe switch on? It should state whether for the neg or pos.

DEWar Dave

I believe it was the positive post.

I have a sway bar on the hitch. What I might think of a big wobble on the road from the wind might be a slight breeze to others. :laugh:

C Nash

Might need to go with two sway bars but might also just be normal and take getting used to having it back there. What do you tow with? Is the tongue weight ok? What about tire pressure?

DL Rupper

I disconnect the fuses to my dectors at the battery and it keeps the battery charged. My battery on/off disconnect switch does not disconnect the carbon monox/propane detectors when turned off.