ventilation in storage

Discussion in 'Towables' started by jersejolt, Mar 30, 2007.

1. jersejolt

jersejolt New Member

Hey, everyone. Wondering whether it's better to keep things closed up when I'm not using my TT, or should I crack a window or two and maybe a roof vent? With things open, it gets pretty cruddy inside, and what about letting the moisture in. Thanks, Greydaddy.

2. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Re: ventilation in storage

Hey greydaddy, I'm not sure what the right answer is, but in 12 years I have always buttoned my RV up tight. I put up reflective insulation in all the windows and put insulation cushions in my air vents. The primary purpose of the insulation is to keep out the sunlight so I don't get a lot of dry rot and sun damage inside. It has seemed to work. Like I said, not sure if this is the best way, but it has worked for me. I also use covers on my tires and park on boards to keep the tires up off the ground. A little UV wax on the exterior doesn't hurt either.

3. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

I would also keep a bucket of damp dry (think that's what it is called) in it. Can't remember if that's the correct name since I bought it yesterday at wally world :eek: :laugh: . Have to go look and see oh well, I would forget before I got back anyhow. :laugh: Anyway it's some kind of stuff to help remove moisture in the rv.

4. adeltaman

adeltaman New Member

RE: ventilation in storage

Graydaddy,
    I have heard from RV dealers in the Arizona area that because of the low humidity, they recommend putting a bucket of water in the tub/shower to keep the wood inside from drying up and cracking. Just a thought...depends on climate where you store your unit.
    Gordon

5. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Gordon, thats some great advice :approve: Never though about it being to dry being here in Alabama where the humidity is always high. :laugh:

6. jersejolt

jersejolt New Member

Thanks everyone. Sorry I'm so late getting back. Springtime(?), ya know. At least looking at the calendar! I guess if they sell the covers to seal everything up, it's okay! All the ones sitting on the lots do alright too, I suppose. Greydaddy :)