We just got a TT

WandaLust

We recently bought an old 1981 Sunline 17' TT. This is our first TT. We've tent camped a few times, then bought an old Dodge Xplorer van conversion. The crouching and cramped space drove us to look for something "bigger" that we could at least stand up in. The little TT needs some work but things are falling into place. We're hoping to have it finished.... just in time to winterize it.

We're replaced the power-supply/batter charger, battery and water pump so far. The stove hood needs a new fan and DH has to see why the furnace didn't come on today. The fan came on but no heat. It may have a pilot light. I hope we don't need a new furnace. There is no manual for it so we're kind of feeling our way.

TexasClodhopper

Re: We just got a TT

My folks and 'us boys' went on a vacation from south Texas to Estes Park CO, Pike's Peak and back through Carlsbad Caverns and Pecos Texas in one that size. Pulled it with a '68 Chevy SW with a 2-speed PowerGlide transmission. ( I got to drive it right through downtown Houston, too!)

'Us boys' in those days meant the second half of our family which was 6 boys.

You gotta love 'camping out' to travel that way, but we had fun with that 17 footer for several years.

jetboat

RE: We just got a TT

glad to here about your purchase.there seams to be a trend twords restoring those great middle age trailers.and i know you wii have lots of fun.

WandaLust

I'm sorry guys, it's a 16' Sunline, not 17'. It's just us, no pets or kids anymore. Seems just the right size since we spend most of out time outside unless the weather is bad. We'll be carrying a flat screen TV, a laptop and reading material. I think they should be restored if possible. They have a lot to offer.

You pulled one with a Station Wagon? Holey smoke... people are telling me we need a 1/2 truck.

C Nash

We had a 16n ft scotty that we oulled with a 71 chevy wagon. Great memories and it served us fine in our younger days. Nothing like restoring some of the oldies but goddies. Enjoy and keep us posted :)

TexasClodhopper

CG, my Dad did hook that TT up to a Chevy BelAir station wagon. I'm sure there was nothing else but safety chains on that hitch either. ;)

And that old Chevy made it to the top of Pike's Peak, too! (Without the TT, of course.)

WandaLust

I remember station wagons and don't know why they stopped making them. In the 60s and 70s, with kids and dogs, I would have been lost without one. I suppose people with children and pets buy vans now. I'll be taking pics of our little Sunline this week.