Weird generator problem

Magmach

I have an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 generator. The problem I have is that after it starts it will shut back off, but if I pull on the #1 Ign. wire I can get it to run continuously. I have to pull on it pretty firm putting the tension on the plug going into the control board. As soon as I release the wire the generator shuts down. Initially when I was having problems with it running I was getting a very weak spark to that cylinder and I thought that it was the magneto. I replaced it and ran great for about an hour. It then shut down and I found by accident the problem with the wire. I have replaced the wire and the control board but still have the problem. The plug appears to be making contact but I cannot confirm this since the control board is sealed. Any ideas or recommendations would sure be appreciated.

LEN

By pulling on the wire are you causing the board to have a ground that is missing without the pull?

LEN

G

Magmach,, are u saying u are pulling just the #1 plug wire ??? and it runs ,, but u also mentioned u replced the board and mag ,, i am kinda confused on what wire u say ,, the mag wires are like spark plug wires ,, they can be replaced seperatly ,, and as Len has said ,, u might be losing a ground ,, but with my training from cummins/onan ,, sounds like u might have a ac voltage sensor problem ,, but i am still not ruling out the ground thingy ,,, it can happen ,, but need a little more info on what it is really doing ,, and if u pm the model number and serial number i can ck the schematic on the wiring :)

Magmach

The wire that I am pulling is the #1 control wire that runs from the board to the magneto. That is the wire that I replaced to rule out a dead short. I am pulling on the end that goes to the board. I just found out how to read the fault codes and have not checked them yet. Maybe they will shed some light as to what the problem is.

FosterAda

So, what's the problem?
I have the same stuff with my generator and I still can't find any solution((
Any ideas or help?