Windshield fans

Lg4

Great site. Ran into it a few weeks ago and have been back many times.
Have had the same 5th wheel camper since 1988 and we finally decided to update. Will pick up our 2000 coachman class A MH next week. 34 ft with 1 slide. Has only 20,000 miles, looks like new. The older I get the fun of hooking up, unhooking, leveling etc was getting old. This should be fun.
Anyway when we test drove the MH the temps were in the low teens and the windows stayed a bit foggy. Where would the best place be to mount a couple extra fans up front. Up high above the windshield or mount them right on the dash--close to the windshield or back closer to the driver?
Thanks for any info.

Pancanbob

RE: Windshield fans

Hi, Kim, welcome to the Forum :) :)
Long ago when I was younger and poorer, my car’s fan went out :( :( , there was a liquid you could put on the inside of the windshield to keep it from fogging up ;) ;) , don’t remember the name :angry: , but it worked. :approve: :approve:

I “Google” “Windshield defogger”, there is something called “Fog Clear”, you could find it any Auto parts store. There is also a lot more information on 12volt defoggers. Good luck :laugh: :laugh:

Just a thought, ….The Fans would be better, because in the summer you could point them at yourself … so maybe you don't have to run the AC as long or as offend. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I’m sure others will be able to tell you better then me.
:approve: :approve: :bleh: :bleh: :clown: :clown: :dead:

LEN

Re: Windshield fans

First I would put some type of dehydrator in the coach, the kind with crystals that soak up the water. Open a vent and get a little heat in. Then while cooking showering or running the mirowave make sure you have a vent and fan going. I would mount fans near center pointing out and up. When I have a bit of moister in the coach and quite a temp difference I get a bit at the outer edge of curve, right where you look at the mirrors(not good). Then I point the vents at this area and all clears in a bit, trick is to do it before fogging.

Oh and welcome.

LEN

vanole

Lg4,

Both M/H's I have owned were mounted as Len describes. He mentions dehydrator crystals. Two that you see on the shelves at big boxes (HD and Lowes) and Walmart are Damprid and Dry Z Air. Fan's are also great when it isn't hot enough to run the A/C (either dash mount or roof) and you just want some cool air when driving without opening the drivers window.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

utmtman

I mounted two fans under our tv cabinet on the front of the motor home between the wife and I and we can turn them 360 degrees. Great for those days when not real hot or when she wants heat and I prefer to have a bit of cooler air blowing on me.
I also have the damprid I bought from walmart and when I am in real humid areas I have a device you add a crystal to for water removal. I bought it at CW.

Kirk

For fogging windshield the fans can really be mounted just about anywhere you want, as long as they are fairly close to the glass. The point is to move air across the glass to remove the condensation. Most of them are mounted where they fit easily, usually at the outside corners, but top or bottom really don't matter. If you use the three speed fans that are readily abailable in 12V-dc, they should work well. While I have never seen them mounted in the center, as Lee did, there is really no reason why that would not work as well. It doesn't take a great deal of air movement as long as it reaches all across the windshield.

I would choose a location where you can fairly easily reach the fans and where it isn't too difficult to route the wires to supply power. Also, keep in mind that you will need to have a location to mount the control switches to be able to control them from the driver's seat.

Lg4

RE: Windshield fans

Thanks for the good input. I just wanted to be sure I didn't wire them into a bad spot. Sounds like as long as you get some good air movement they will do the job.
Kirk---spent some time @ your web site the other night, very interesting. You have put a lot of time and a lot of good info there.
Good job.

H2H1

Lg4 I have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind and it has a pair that are mounted high next to the TV which is centered between driver and passenger. They are about 6 '' diameter and 2 speed. I have found they work great when it not to hot to use the AC. This where I would recommend them to be installed. Good luck and happy camping.