WinnebagoJourney DL / Freightliner Turbo Excess Heat to area-

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by Wraythewanderer, Oct 31, 2011.

  1. I have had issues with High Heat-in the Turbo area to the point of 'Meltdown' of plastic wiring harness and actually cooked the starter!
    Was on a steep 8 mile climb pulling in 2nd/ 3rd gear (no tow vehicle) When I arrived at destination could smell plastic as well as strong burning smell.
    Went to start vehicle-was a loud explosion sound then nothing? Relocated melted plastic of harness-checked connections-still no start.
    Upon closer inspection-starter had melted insulation of field coils leaking out-removed starter-internal was shorted and when I attempted to start
    it 'exploded' due to direct short of windings. Replaced unit and installed a heat shield between turbo/starter.
    Was on another Trip recently and was climbing to 1700 metres 3rd/4th Gear-after 15 minutes temp rose to 3/4 of gauge-concerned turned on
    heater to cool down. Checked Turbo heat-approx 800 F. Decided to fabricate a air cooler to cool down the area of turbo.
    After installation on a steep climb-turbo temp 370F so am not concerned of heat problems. No increase in water temperature !
    Previous year saw a Motor home burn to frame rails-(was towing a full size vehicle) in Fraser Canyon B.C.-which caused a large forest fire. HMMM?
    View attachment 153
    I have other issues to bring to owners attention- One at a time !!
    I like the Motor home- just not satisfied with the 'Pride of Workmanship' 'Close enough' Warranty can fix it !

    Attached Files:

Share This Page