Drivers license

I am getting ready to pack up and move to Texas to get my Class A motor home and start my second life of Full Timing. I chose Texas for many reasons that I will not list here to be my state of Residence. I have discovered though that I will be required to get a Class B license to drive one. Since I have never driven anything bigger than my 1/2 ton pickup I am a little nervous for the big change. Does anyone know of any companies in Texas that will teach me what is required to get a class B license. Also how can you purchase one without the license but yet need one for the drivers test to get the license. Any help the experts on line can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Drivers license

What the heck is a Class B license? I've never had anything but the license I started out with. I guess I should look it up, but it isn't something I've ever been exposed to with my MH.

EDIT: OK. So if your Gross Vehicle Weight is 26,001 lbs. or more, you do need a Class B.

PS. Troopers never weigh MHs! ;) From the manual:

The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons
who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who
are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:
1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.
Minimum Ages: 18, or 17 with completion of an approved driver education
course including classroom and practical training or approval of minor’s
hardship application.
Fee: $24.00 for 6 years. Applicants under the age of 18 are charged $5.00
for a license to expire on the next birthday. 2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,
except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001
pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a
farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed
20,000 pounds;
b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the
driver; and
c. a vehicle included in Class C.


Senior Member
Re: Drivers license

Visit the Texas DPS website and down-load the driver's manual and study it. Then as long as you can safely drive the motorhome it will be very easy. That is particularly true if you plan to join Escapees and to use Polk County. The work with RV folks all of the time and are very helpful.
Re: Drivers license

Thanks the both of you. I have acually already joind Excapee and do plan to use Polk county. I lived in Flower Mound for many years and that being beside Lewiston makes it simple for me since I know the area from when I lived there. I currently live in colorado but plan to travel to texas to purchase the motorhome also.