Hauling a Motorcycle

Hi, I am planning on retiring in about a year to go full-timing. I am leaning towards a fifth wheel over a travel trailer, but I have one question/problem. I want to be able to take my motorcycle, which weighs about 550#, so that I can use it when I am camped.

With a fifth wheel how would I be able to take the motorcycle? The only way I can see is to somehow attach it to the rear of the trailer, but that is a lot of weight. Is there another way to carry the motorcycle or would I be better off buying a travel trailer so that I can carry the bike in the truck bed?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Hauling a Motorcycle

If I can remember the name of it I will post again. I saw a 5th wheel with a motorcycle lift on the back. It had a single wheel that rode on the ground for support.You could even back it up. The guy said it worked great.
good Luck

In some states that motorcycle carrier with a dolly wheel is considered a second trailer and in not legal. Va is one of those states. Check local laws before buying one.

Sunset Creek, by Sunnybrook, has just come out with a travel trailer that has a cargo area in the rear for up to 800lbs. It has a side ramp for loading. Enough space for motorcycle, ATV, maybe a golf cart. They also have fifth wheel toy haulers.

RE: Hauling a Motorcycle

Thanks for the information and suggestions. Thankfully, I have time to investigate the best way to haul my motorcycle.

No one answered my last question, and that was "would it be better to buy a travel trailer so that I could haul the bike in the truck bed"? Hauling the bike in the truck bed with a travel trailer would be easier, cheaper, and more convenient than with a 5th Wheel, BUT are the benefits of owning a 5th Wheel enough to offset this?

Thanks,

Dan

DL Rupper

Beachcomer, If you move frequently a 5th wheel is easier to hook-up, it tows better, and they generally have more compartment storage space. Most full-timers prefer 5'ers to TT's. However, if you can transport your motorcycle in the bed of your truck it may be a good trade off. How easy will it be to load/unload the motorcycle. I used to load/unload motocross bikes in the bed of my pickup, but they only weighed 200 lbs ea. 550 lbs sounds like work.
Maybe it's relative to one's age.

This year we have had 2 customers trade off their 5th Wheels for Travel Trailers, so they could haul Golf Carts in the bed of their truck. Neither one is "full time". I also agree that 5th wheels tow better.

Don't think there is a clear answer to your question.