Honda Accord dinghy

I have a 1998 Honda Accord V6 automatic. The owner's manual says not to tow it, but I have seen it done. Are modifications to the vehicle necessary? Is there a procedure (shifting/neutral) to use before towing? If you have experience with this car, please respond. Thank you.

Honda Accord dinghy

I towed a 95 Accord wagon for four years with absaolutely no trouble at all.
Go to nutreal from a forward gear, turn ignition one click toward off and go.

ARCHER

Honda Accord dinghy

I have a Honda Accord and my dealer told me I could pull all four down, put in neutral, but they told me I would have to stop every 100 miles or so and start the engine and let transmission fluid circulate. Mine is an older model so perhaps the newer ones are safer??? I decided to go with a tow dolly and have not had any problems/issues in three years, other than deciding what to do with it after I get to my location. Good luck and welcome to the forum..... :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Honda Accord dinghy

I have a 2002 Honda Accord and I tow it with all 4 wheels down. That was one of the requirements before I bought the car. The dealer said that you can tow it but the owners manual says no. I wrote to Honda and they said yes you can tow it and they sent a sheet of instructions on what to do before you go. Nothing difficult. Just let idle in neutral for 3 minutes after you go through the gears and make sure everything is turned off. (AC etc.)

ARCHER

Honda Accord dinghy

Ronnotdon,
Can you send me the instructions you got from Honda or post them here? I have the 91 Honda Accord and dealer told me I could tow it 4 down, but I should stop every hundred miles or so and start engine, run through gears and then go again. Perhaps Older ones are different?
Welcome to the forum. :)