Internet, Telephone and TV!!!

WandaLust

Re: Internet, Telephone and TV!!!

*scooter* - 7/1/2009 7:19 PM I now how ya feel with the internet and all. At home, I have HughesNet and I would rate it fair to poor. Sometimes I spend hours on the phone trying to get the thing back online and work properly.

After several years of aggravation with Hughes, we switched to Wildblue. It's much better service.

thetwoofus

Wildblue is great, we use it at home. In our TT we use Verizon wireless for the PC and Verizon wireless cell phones. We've been all over the country the past two years and it works great. We'll be full timing it if the market comes back to life and we can sell our home, until then we'll spend our winters out West and in South Texas with our Verizon Internet and cell phones.
We use Direct TV in the TT. We got tired trying to find that crazy satellite so while in Mesa AZ last year we had the HDTV dish installed on top of the RV and now we push a button and the work is finished. Slimline from Direct TV is the way to go. :)

WandaLust

thetwoofus - 7/10/2009 2:06 PM Wildblue is great, we use it at home. In our TT we use Verizon wireless for the PC and Verizon wireless cell phones. We've been all over the country the past two years and it works great. We'll be full timing it if the market comes back to life and we can sell our home, until then we'll spend our winters out West and in South Texas with our Verizon Internet and cell phones. We use Direct TV in the TT. We got tired trying to find that crazy satellite so while in Mesa AZ last year we had the HDTV dish installed on top of the RV and now we push a button and the work is finished. Slimline from Direct TV is the way to go. :)

We have Verizon cell phones. How do we get Verizon wireless Internet for when we travel? At our stick home we can't get Verizon wireless. The tower is too far away. Do we need any special equipment?

raskal

Don't know how you'd get service at the "stick house" if there is no tower but getting Verizon wireless for on the road is as easy as going to the local dealer and telling them you want it and paying for the attachment for your laptop/computer.

Ours (both phones and wireless) works wonderfully on the road and in every place we've stopped thus far.

CharlieS

730 - 7/1/2009 9:21 PM

u guys need the internet in motion thingy ,, it provides antennas on the roof of the rv ,, and u still use u'r cell card ,, but it get's out much better ;)

Do you have a website or something on this?

Thanks

Charlie

CharlieS

Thanks Len.

My wife works from home and requires internet service. This looks like it could be the answer..

raskal

CharlieS, I wonder if you need the added expense of buying and installing the Ward Electronics router system? After installing it you still need pay for the monthly service with their associated "Sprint" service which is nearly the same cost as I'm paying for my "Verizon" broadband card with the same up link/download speeds.

I'm a photographer and have to upload large files to publishers and it works wonderfully on the road thus far!

CharlieS

raskal - 9/20/2009 9:01 AM

CharlieS, I wonder if you need the added expense of buying and installing the Ward Electronics router system? After installing it you still need pay for the monthly service with their associated "Sprint" service which is nearly the same cost as I'm paying for my "Verizon" broadband card with the same up link/download speeds.

I'm a photographer and have to upload large files to publishers and it works wonderfully on the road thus far!

Raskal

We are just getting started, so we are really grasping at straws - trying to set my wife up so she is mobile. She also deals with publishers and uploads large files - documents and photographs.

Have you tried the wifi service some of the RV parks offer? How does your Verison service compare?

In our limited experience thus far, the wifi service in the RV parks seems to bog down as more people log on. I guess she wouldn't have that problem with Verizion broadband.

Thanks for your input

Charlie

raskal

WiFi in the parks is a roll of the dice ... from very good to almost nothing depending on time of day and where you might be within the park. The Verizon card has not failed however so we've never been without service and my image uploads are usually several MB per especially when dealing with agencies in Europe.

I bought into a plan with unlimited time on the WiFi card because of what I do.

You'll do fine on the road. Even when things don't go exactly as you wish, the work-arounds are usually easier than you might expect ... different mind set!

CharlieS

raskal - 9/20/2009 6:14 PM

WiFi in the parks is a roll of the dice ... from very good to almost nothing depending on time of day and where you might be within the park. The Verizon card has not failed however so we've never been without service and my image uploads are usually several MB per especially when dealing with agencies in Europe.

I bought into a plan with unlimited time on the WiFi card because of what I do.

You'll do fine on the road. Even when things don't go exactly as you wish, the work-arounds are usually easier than you might expect ... different mind set!

Good advice...

Thanks

Charlie

CharlieS

I just purchased a Verizon MiFi card. It creates a hot spot in your RV and you can run up to 5 PCs on it at a time. It's kind of like being in Starbucks - it requires a password so your neighbors can't eat up your bandwidth. It's pretty much like the Verizon or Sprint broadband card - just you can run more computers at the same time. (The more computers on at the same time - the less bandwidth)

It works great here at home. We are going to be on the road next weekend - I'll post a report on how it does.

rcclark

The MiFi and EVDO are both great services to provide Internet while you're out on the road. I live in an area that did not have DSL or Cable available for a number of years and was an early adopter of EVDO, even before Rev A came out. I also am waiting for the transition of many wireless networks to 4G over the next year or so that will deliver even better throughput on both the upstream and downstream side of the network - nearing DSL speeds.

There are a couple of important limitations to be aware of when using EVDO. All of the major US based wireless carriers (VZ, T, S) have "unlimited" data plans that limit you to 5 GB of data throughput per month. For most people who are checking e-mail, uploading a few photos, or doing some light duty surfing on the web, you'll be fine with that 5 GB of data each month. If, however, you're a power user you could go over your data usage and get a really big bill for the overage. For example, if you're downloading video podcasts on iTunes you can expect to use 500 MB of your data downloading just 1 show. Download a couple of podcasts along with your regular data usage and you could find yourself over your limit in a hurry. Streaming video using Hulu, Boxee, or your SlingBox? Another way to really eat into your data usage. Uploading a lot of photos, or working from your RV on a regular basis? That might take you past your 5 GB limit.

Another limitation of EVDO is latency. While my home DSL connection "pings" a remote server in just 16ms, over EVDO that hang time jumps up to 143ms. Why is this important? Some connections are particularly sensitive to latency. VPN connections, for example, might not hold up over EVDO. VOIP is another application that often does not do well on EVDO due to latency issues. I was successful using a soft client VOIP application over EVDO several times, but connecting a hard wire phone like a Cisco VOIP phone or a VOIP ATA adapter is something I was never able to do because of the latency. Voice quality using VoIP over EVDO can be poor with lots of jitter, picket fencing, and dropped packets. To make VoIP work over EVDO you really need to know your soft client software, the codecs you are using and how to adjust them. With satellite based Internet services, latency is even worse, running upwards of 250ms. Running VoIP or VPN services is nearly impossible using satellite based Internet. One other note, it's likely a violation of the terms of service to use VoIP over EVDO, since the mobile data companies would also like you to purchase mobile phone service as well. With all of the attention on net neutrality with the recent FCC NPRM on the subject, I doubt any of the carriers are blocking UDP packets on specific ports related to VoIP but it would not surprise me if that changed after attention shifted away from the net neutrality debate.

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a perfect solution for mobile Internet on the road. We use two different EVDO cards from two different carriers, a Cradlepoint EVDO router with load balancing, dueling iPhones, and we still seek out Wireless Internet on the road in order to use bandwidth intense applications or stream video content. I have also used satellite Internet extensively, and while it will work some places EVDO will not, I do not recommend it unless you have a specific application you're planning for like disaster response or a long term stay in a very remote area.

Robert
camping blog

This is an interesting thread for me as most of my business is online. But I can do things that make it easier to get good use from even an unreliable campground connection. I can write scripts that compress and upload my files to my servers at times few other people are using the internet connection. From there I can send them all over on my server bandwidth. I know how to keep a coffee shop or now McDonald's from tracking what I'm doing with their wi-fi, or the library or any number of other free connections.

It's still going to be an adjustment. I'm just not prepared to sign a 2 year commitment for wireless broadband in the state it's in. I'd be more likely to rent space in one of those shared office places. They almost always come with decent broadband. Please do keep posting about your wireless broadband experiences.

CharlieS

We are living in our RV full time for the winter and my wife telecommutes. We just finished our first month using our new MiFi card and we did go over our 5 GB limit. I caused that by downloading some large software packages (in excess of 2 GB) which I will not have reason to do again. I believe under normal usage the 5 GB will be more than sufficient for our needs.

All in all, we are very happy with it.

If you do go over your limit, they charge you 5 cents per Megabite.

tattooturn

Get https://AttHotSpot.com/ its 4g LTE Unlimited Hotspot Data for $60 a month. Super-fast 60+ mbps no slowing, no throttling, no caps, no contracts, all you can use with nationwide coverage. Its never failed me and if i need to i can not pay the bill for a month if im in the boons and just pay the next month when i need it. coverage is super good even in dead spots on hwy 41 in NM still get service when the phones don't.

Tom Cooper

Only problem I see is you are using Sprint, which is good for populated areas but the coverage isn't out in the boonies other services have better coverage.

Welcome

LEN

Just ran into this problem. I could not think that the coverage of this company is so small (I think)