Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Uzzi

Hi all. We are looking at a 1995 Jayco 303RK 5th wheel. I have a GMC ext cab 4X4 1/2 ton.

The guy who is selling said he pulled it all the time with the same truck as mine except he had the 6.5 turbo diesel (and I have the big Vortec V8). He is wanting $16000 CAD and he'll throw in the hitch AND pay to have it installed and wired in my truck. The unit is in great shape, has seen very little use over the 6 years he's owned it (he bought it new in 1996)

I've never owned a 5th wheel. Just a slide in truck camper which I currently have.

Does anyone have any comments or advice for me about this unit in particular, or the Jayco name? I'm just trying to make a good decision on it. Thanks for your replies.

BarneyS

Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Uzzi,
Jayco makes a good trailer. I would make sure you check it over very carefully for soft spots (dry-rot) in the walls, floor etc. I do have one main concern. I think that this will probably be way too much trailer for your 1/2 ton truck - regardless of what the guy says. Check out your weight limits (axle, gross vehicle, and gross combined weight ratings) I would take it to a scale and weigh it before purchasing. Most 1/2 ton trucks are really not very good at towing or stopping that big of a trailer. The older Jayco's are not known for being lightweights either. Make sure you do your homework on this so you have a pleasant, safe experience and not a nightmare towing it.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

Uzzi

Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Hi Barney......thanks for the reply. I guess thats also my main concern is the truck I have. I have the towing package on my truck with an extra spring too. I called the guy I bought the truck from last year. He pulled a 30' travel trailer with it South to the USA each year he owned it, never a problem he said. Just have to use some common sense and not try to drive 70 mph!! I called around town today talking to lots of guys that pull 5th wheels. They all say that is about the end of the safe limit for my truck, and if I'm planning on making any long distance trips, I'd be wise to upgrade to a 3/4 ton (which I'm not planning in the near future as we have a 2 year old and one on the way next month) We have several nice lakes close (within 2 hours), so I'd safely say there will be no long trips for at least 2 years. and if there is, my father in law had a dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins that I can borrow any time. My slide in 8' truck camper weighs about 1500-1600 when its loaded with gear, water, food, etc and when it sits on my truck, it's sitting exactly level with the ground.

As far as the comment about the dry rot.....is that something specific to Jayco, or is it just a general comment for things to check on a used unit (I'm assuming its the latter....better to be safe than sorry, right?)

If anyone else has any comments, sure love to hear them. Either good or bad experiences with Jayco too. Thanks

BarneyS

Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Hi again Uzzi,
The comment I made about checking for dry rot is NOT specific to Jayco. Any used trailer should be checked for water leaks and dry rot before purchase. There are many horror stories on these RV forums about the problem. This is especially true of trailers that have a wood frame - which I believe Jayco has. (I may be wrong on that)

I understand your logic concerning your truck and hope you will be ok. However, I would still check out the weight limits of your truck and would get the truck and trailer weighed so you know for sure what your weights are. If you are over your weight limits, you could be opening yourself up to law suits or non payment of insurance claims in the case of an accident. You say you are trying to make a good decision. Please do a little more homework before making that final one. I am really not trying to be "preachy" here but your friends are probably correct in saying you are near or at the limits for your truck. If a 3/4 ton is not in the picture right now, perhaps it might be better to look at a smaller trailer. The scale will tell the story.
Good luck.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT

Edited by - bsmith0337 on Jul 05 2002 12:37:06 PM

Uzzi

Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Hi Barney. Thanks for your comments. We went and looked at it again last night. I looked underneath, felt around a bit, bounced up and down everywhere inside, everything seems sturdy. No water marks down the walls or on the ceiling. I crawled up top too. It's got a rubber roof thats in nice shape....not cuts or rips in the rubber. All looks well as far as construction goes. It could use a re caulking around the shower/tub area. The shower walls are not at all soft, but you can see where the caulk is starting to get "tired". They haven't used the camper yet this year, so it hasn't seen any action since last summer.

As far as pulling with my truck and weight, I'm going to check the weight at the weigh scale this weekend. I've got a friend thats a highway traffic officer and he'll tell me if I'm safe or not. We'll be deciding on it by Sunday.....I'll let you know what I decided.

Thanks again

Don't suppose you'd know how the Air conditioner drains on the roof? Would it just drain on the roof and run off? Or would it be piped to drain under the camper? The owner didnt know, we couldnt see any drain hoses below. What is the normal practice?

Thanks again
Dwayne

BarneyS

Jayco 303RK 5th wheel

Dwayne,
Glad to hear that the trailer seems to be in good shape. I'm glad that you took the time to look and "bounce" around. Sounds like it is a very nice trailer for a good price.
The air conditioner just drains on to the roof. Many times you will see people slanting their awning a bit. That is to allow run off from the air conditioner go to the end before it drips on you :) and to allow rain water to drain. There are four bolts that hold the air conditioner on to the roof. They are accessable from inside the trailer by taking the cover off the inside. If you get any leaking inside from the air conditioner, tighten up on those 4 bolts which will compress the gasket a bit. It is very common for them to loosen up.
I will be interested in how you make out on the weights - keep posting.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT

Edited by - bsmith0337 on Jul 05 2002 6:19:59 PM