Montana motorhome registration


New Member
We are full time residents of FLorida and I've been told that, when we purchase a motorhome, we can register it in Montana and save the sales tax here. Is this true? What are the requirements to do this?

Also, will we lose our "home-stead" advantage FLorida offers for full-time residents?



Senior Member
Re: Montana motorhome registration

It is true that Montana allows you to form a Limited Liability Corporation for the purpose of owning and registering a vehicle, but that doesn't make it legal where you live. The states have agreed that vehicles should be registered and taxes paid to the state where the vehicle is "garaged." That basically means the location where it is kept when not traveling the roads. Each state also has laws that require that you register and insure your vehicles in them under some circumstances. That length of time varies from 30 days to as long as six months, depending upon the state and your circumstances. Mos t states have about 30 days as the limit if you are permanently employed there, and something around 90 days if a permanent resident, but not employed. Just how aggressive they are about enforcement of those laws varies by state and local community. I strongly suggest that you get legal advice from a local attorney before you take this action. It could be very expensive if the local authorities should prosecute you.