Oil change + replace battery, which comes first ?

Sir Traveller

Hello Everyone…

I have a 2003 Ford F-550 RV ( four winds hurricane 6.8L ) , I want to replace the chassis battery and do oil change , which one should I do first? Take into consideration the last oil change was nearly 3 years ago, ( the RV only been driven 3000 miles in 2018 and been in RV Park since then, I only drove it 100 miles or less in the last 2 years, total mileage is 31,000) the RV was in storage for 8 months from March till November, I had to jump start it to drive it to the hookup spot. The battery is completely dead at this point.

I know that usually I should start the vehicle to warm it up then shut it off before an oil change, but in this case ( and if I replace the battery first) is it a good idea to let that 3 years old oil run into the engine again???

Also a secondary question: is it necessary to replace the oil filter too?

I appreciate any tips and suggestions

Thank you

Last edited:

C Nash

Hello Everyone…

I have a 2003 Ford F-550 RV ( four winds hurricane 6.8L ) , I want to replace the chassis battery and do oil change , which one should I do first? Take into consideration the last oil change was nearly 3 years ago, ( the RV only been driven 3000 miles in 2018 and been in RV Park since then, I only drove it 100 miles or less in the last 2 years, total mileage is 31,000) the RV was in storage for 8 months from March till November, I had to jump start it to drive it to the hookup spot. The battery is completely dead at this point.

I know that usually I should start the vehicle to warm it up then shut it off before an oil change, but in this case ( and if I replace the battery first) is it a good idea to let that 3 years old oil run into the engine again???

Also a secondary question: is it necessary to replace the oil filter too?

I appreciate any tips and suggestions

Thank you
Have you tried to charge the battery? I would replace the battery , let it run for a few minutes, cut it off, drain the oil and yes change the filter. Really want matter imo which you do first.

Sir Traveller

Have you tried to charge the battery? I would replace the battery , let it run for a few minutes, cut it off, drain the oil and yes change the filter. Really want matter imo which you do first.
thank you ... yes the battery is completely dead for sure