Short or Long box for fifth Wheel

Haven't decided which truck make to buy yet for a fifth wheel. I do plan to go diesel. Howerver, I want to make sure I have the truck set up to tow the trailer. I'd like to have an extended cab with short bed, 6 ft, but, I've been told I need an extended 8ft bed for manuvering when backing or turning. Anyone have an answer?

C Nash

A long bed will be better for towing the fifth wheel (IMO) :approve: but,there are a lot of the smaller lite weight 5th wheels that will work fine if they have the extended hitch or the slider hitch. Where you may get into problems with a short box is sharp turning. The truck cab can hit the rv. I have seen this happen. The longer wheel base will generally just tow better also. What size rv are you looking at?

hertig

As Chelse says, the long bed is better and safer. However, with a sliding hitch, extended pin box and care on your part, a short bed can get the job done.

Gary B

Hi Old Tymer, I also perfer the long box to the short, give you much more space to hual things, installinf a 5th wheel hitch is much easier, and it takes all the worries out of manuvering in tight spots. A shortbox will work you'll need a slider hitch or an extended pin box, or maybe both. Good luck in the search. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

We have a Chevy 2500HD ext. cab, short bed and tow a 26' 5er with no problems. Our Jayco has an extended king pin which helps and I bought a Reese 16K slider hitch to help me out with the tight turns. I've only had to use it when I'm backing my trailer into my driveway from a very (as in VERY) narrow alley. :cool:

I have had 2 FW's, a 25' and now 29', both with extended pin boxes. I have towed these 2 with 3 short bed trucks (a F-150, F-350, & Dodge 2500) all with the same Reese 15K (non-slider) and never had any problem. If I was buying a new hitch, I would get a slider (just in case).

Usually when this question is asked, many folks write in and note that they have slider hitches and have never used them. You don't need a long box to pull an RV with an extended pin -- in fact you also don't need a slider hitch.

Get the truck that works for you overall. I use my truck about 25 days a year for RV towing and driving to work, etc. for 200+ days. I couldn't get a long bed in my garage. Good luck!