Sportsmen Fifth Wheel 37Px2

harleybrother1

I'm looking at a buying a Sportsmen fifth Wheel toy hauler. I was looking for people who have one and what they like or dislike about it. Also I would like to know what you are towing it with. I was leaning toward a Ford F350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke deisel. Thanks

DL Rupper

Hey harleybrother1, From what I've been able to figure out from reading the postings in the forum, is the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke diesel is good, but stay away from the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke diesel. It's bad news.

harleybrother1

Yea I have been reading about the 6.0L and they have some serious problems with them. Hopefully they will get them worked out especially for the people who already have them. I haven't heard any bad things about the 7.3L.

Shadow

You have to feel for the people who are having trouble with their 6.0Ls, and then have to deal with a mechanic or service dept. that has no idea how to fix the problem. But let's be realistic here, for every horror story you hear there are thousands of people running 6.0s that you won't hear from because they are happy. Where I work, we have four or five hot shot drivers a day from different parts of the country and most are driving fords with the 6.0s. Some of these guys are hauling a lot more weight than I would even consider. Of all the people I know and have quizzed about their 6.0s, only one person had so many problems with his truck that he traded it in. Guess what, he bought another Ford. So to your question harleybrother1, if you come across a good deal on a 7.3Ford buy it. But if you're looking for a new truck I would not hesitate to buy a new Ford with the 6.0L. But do give Dodge and Chevy a spin - you might like one of those better. Now remember gang this is just my opinion so be easy on me with your rebuttals. :)

C Nash

Not going to blast you Shadow and you know I am a Bowtie person. Have you noticed that most of the folks with Ford problems give very little information on themselves :disapprove: . have known of cases where salespeople got on forums and bashed competion :eek: . Did see in a post where greeneyes (I think) bought a Dodge because of the negetive post on Ford. Sift through it all and met in the middle for a true answere. Have not seen that many problems around here with the 6.0s. Maybe DL is a Dodge dealer and doing all the Ford post :laugh: :bleh: :evil: :evil: :evil: ;) :clown: :eek:

DL Rupper

Chelse, bring money. Got just what you need. I sure haven't seen many posts by dissatified Dodge owners :clown: . That must tell all you Ford :dead: and Chev :dead: owners something, if you are listening :bleh: Sorry, it's not my fault ya'll bought the wrong trucks :) :laugh: :clown: .
Ha, ha just kidding :evil:
P.S. Of course if you are democrats it must be a vast right-wing conspiracy that all satisfied Dodge truck owners are dealers :) :laugh: :cool: :clown:

harleybrother1

Well I've thought about a Dodge but I'm really a Ford guy. Have beeen running them a long time and am very satified with their gas engines. The people I've talked to in person love the Diesels and say they will haul more and walk away from any other truck on the road. I don't know if they are just bragging or are trying to spin people up. But from what I've seen peoplew towing with on on the road, I have to say 80% of them are the F250's and F350's.

Shadow

harleybrother1, just do what what you're doing and do test drive them all. I'm kind of partial to the Ford, like the ride and the leg and head room. Now as far as hauling more weight and walking away, try to get past all the chest beating. My opinion is your only talking a few mpg, and the (legal towing capacitys)are close. So to me it all comes down to body style, leg and head room and and how they handle the hwy.
Oh almost forgot,and how good you want to look doing it :cool: .

PS. Sorry was only talking about diesels not comparing gas and diesel motors.

harleybrother1

What about the Sportsmen fifth wheel? Has anyone had any experience with one? My wife and I also liked the Victory Lane and Bay Hauler. The Sportsmen, in my opinion lookes to be the better of the three and the prices are pretty close. Just wanted to know if anyone has had them and if there is something specific I should be looking for.