Tires

Hi, I have a 33' 5th wheel. I recently had one of my LT 225/75R16 Goodyear tires delaminate on the interstate causing major damage to my RV. I was told that I should not run a truck tire on my trailer by the guy that aired my spare up. After getting home I have gone to two dealers and both recomend LT tires. One recomends Bridgestone and the other recomends Cooper. I sure dont want to go through this again any time soon. Has anyone had any experience with either of these tires?

Thanks
Roy

DL Rupper

Tires

Hey terry, I have had trouble with both Cooper and Goodyear tires on my 5th Wheel and have had trouble with Bridgestone tires on my truck. :dead: Its been my experience that the Michelins work best. :laugh: I use Michelin LT 225/75/16E RIB XPS on my 5th Wheel. I am on my second set of the Michelin RIB XPS tires and have had very good luck with them. :laugh: They have 4 steel belts in the tred and 1 steel belt in the sidewall. Most light truck (LT) tires have 2 polyester belts and 2 steel belts in the tred and no steel belts in the sidewall. The Michelin RIB XPS are made for commercial delivery trucks so they work well on a 5th Wheel. They are highway tred so have low friction compared to the mud/snow treds most LT tires have. By the way most large 5'ers use light truck tires. Hope this info will help.

Kirk

Tires

Roy, what ever tire you choose to run on the trailer, make sure that you don't run them for more that 5-7 years. The sidewalls will crack in that general time frame just from weather and age. It is very rare to wear out and RV tire.

DL Rupper

Tires

Roy, I forgot to mention that you need to keep the tire air pressure up to the maximum specified on the sidewall. Check the pressure every morning that you are in a travel mode. Also, I have found that in the summer it is best to only tow in the morning when it is cooler. When the road heats up to 100+ degrees and the air temp is at 90 degrees and the trailer is going 75mph the tries will tend to delaminate, especially if you are towing a 12 to 15,000lb trailer. Like I said, when the temp is up I only tow in the morning hours and keep my speed to 60/65mph. Prior to doing this, I experienced 2 blowouts and they were not fun. When the 18-wheelers came by at 70mph and the 5th wheel was jacked-up and swaying, it got dicey. Good luck. :laugh:

Tires

Thanks for the info. Will check out the Michelins. I have them on my truck and very happy with them. I am at lost as to why the dealer didn't recomend them.
Roy