Allison Transmission Questions

unclecarney

quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

unclecarney

quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

unclecarney

Hi Allisonman,

I have a 2003 Duramax. If I leave it sit for a week or so I have this problem. I put it in gear and it won't move. If I turn off the engine and restart put it in gear it moves starting out slowly with a little slippage. After it warms up or I run it daily theres no problem. My dealer says there's nothing wrong and wants to keep it for a week or so and see if they have the same problem. Is there something else I can do?

Thanks,

mud man

Dear Allisonman
I have a 545 allison i put in a truck i'am having as problem with it shifting past second gear. It was behind a gas engine as is now behind a gas motor. The governor is not stuck any idea what else could cause this, any imput would be helpful.

Hello Allisonman,

The Coast Guard Air Station in Astoria received a new Fire Truck last year on a 2002 International 4800 Chassis.
The vehicle has about 3400 miles on it. I have 2 new tranny filters for it. The truck sits most of the time. Is it necessary to change the tranny fluid @ 12 months? It has Dextron in it currently.
I would like to change the fluid and filters myself and save on a service call. How difficult is this? This truck is our first out truck incase of a plane crash. How long should I expect this to take?
How many qts or gallons of fluid will I need? I see where the filters would go I guess. I have never delt with an Allison before. Just a Twin Disc.
What would a service call be to Astoria for this.
On a similiar topic I am currently working on my EVT Certification.
Does Allison put on a class locally for a guy to go to?

Thank You,
Chris

grldst

Just recently purchased a 1995 Safari Motorhome with a MD 3060 Allison. The other day I read where one could use the electronics of the Transmission to check the oil level, and this is a more accurate way of checking oil level. I did this and received the code "ol lo 04" I take it that this means I am 4 quarts low. I added 2 quarts drove about 10 miles did the procedure again, and recieved the "04" code again. Level on dip stick shows over full now. Should I keep adding oil? Also in viewing the codes, it shows code "51 12". Is this something that needs to be checked by a technician?

barbicj

Hello Allison Man
I have recently purchased a 1994 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser with an Allison 6 speed transmission. The last two times I started the coach and began accelerating there was a momentary slip as the transmission shifted from 3rd to 4th gear. After that, as the transmission warmed up the shifting was normal. I suspect the previous owner allowed this coach to sit idle for long periods of time between uses. What are your thoughts as to the cause and proper tests/fixes to pursue? Is there an additive you would recommend?
Thanks,
Jack

driver8

Hey UncleCarney, I think AM's gone from this forum; see a couple of pages back for his final post. Anyway, WRT that 1000, my '01 Chev with 8.1 gas is doing the same thing. It gets very little use and I think this is half the problem. ATF & filter have been changed 2x so far by the local Chevy dealer (I sorta go overboard on PM) and the truck's been only 13K. Anyway, it was so bad today that R acted like neutral and D felt as if more than one gear was engaged, i.e. the RPMs would drop and the converter would load down but the truck wouldn't move (yow!). Did a cold-fluid check per the OM and found the fluid well above the high mark for the cold (sub 140 or 160, whatever it is) range. Crawled under the truck, pulled the drain plug with a 15mm socket, let about a quart out of the pan. Truck drives fine now, but like you said it probably would have anyway since it had had a chance to warm up from engine heat by the time I got out from under the truck. I'm saying all this just to let you know that a problem similar to yours MIGHT be caused by an overfull condition. Might be worth a check. But I know nothing about automatics so the high oil and the locked tranny might be totally unrelated (fair warning given!). Anyway, good luck with yours.

driver8

Sheesh, just put in a HUGE reply for 95 MH with the 3060, password was wrong, clicked the "go back" link, and the board wiped out my whole reply. Admins, PLEASE fix this. Anyway, I don't feel like spending another hour typing it back in. If the poster is still looking at this board, he/she can contact me at:

stockseat
at
1/4horseman.com (don't use the fraction -- spell it out in english)

transrand

mikevan
Are you looking for a WTEC II or WTEC III. If you don't know how to tell the diiference, look at your LED display on your shifter. If you have two blue digits that display gear selected and gear attained, you have a WTEC II. If you have one red digit that displays gear selected only you have a WTEC III. I would check on Ebay, I just seen a couple of WTEC II ECU's on there. You will have to get it calibrated at your nearest Alison dealer with reprogram capabilities.

mikevan

Thanks for the input, it sounds like I have a WTEC II. Two displays.

I will check eBay.

Thanks again.

ayresjc

AllisonMan:
I have a 1990 Prevost with the 8v92 and Allison transmission. Several times now it has shut down while I am driving, one time requireing a tow
off the road. Most times it will restart after awhile. All dash lights and gages work but the shift module is blank. It appears to do this when it should shift down. It happened at the start of my last trip and the last day six weeks later. I'm a little afraid to drive it to Medford as it is 200 miles.
The transmission was serviced at the Medford shop 15,000 miles ago.

Thanks John

Curtis Nikel

I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey on a Freighliner chassis. It has a Cummins ISB and a 4 speed Allison (MT643 I beleive). I have been thinking about changing the transmission out to a 6 speed Allison (a 3000MH I believe). Can you let me know if this can be done? Where I might find a transmission and accessories and if the benefit will be significant?

Sincerely,

Curtis Nikel

transrand

Curti Nikel
Yes this can be done but it would be fairly expensive unless your willing to shop around. There is a transmission for sale on ebay right now if you are interested just search for Allison transmission. The transmission is only part of it. Then you have to find the adaptation parts such as flex plate and spacers, mounts, and the driveline would probably have to be modified. Next you have to buy controls, like an ECU, a VIM, shifter, wiring harness. Then unless you are mechanically inclined you would have to pay someone to do it and it is a very time consuming. It would cost around $15,000 if you hire someone to do it. There is also the chance that your driveline would handle the extra speed from the double overdrive.

transrand

aeresjc
You might want to check to make sure you are getting power to the ECU. Beyond that you will have to have someone with a reader to get the codes.

rzcsprings

Allison Man: I have an 04 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, with the GM 8.1 and the Allison 1000. Occasionaly when leaving a dead stop, with moderate acceleration, the transmission locks up in second gear, will not upshift or downshift. If I pull over, cut the engine, restart, all is well. The Allison Technical Assistance Line tells me that once in a while the transmission "acts stupid", and to have it checked, which is no small task, being many miles from a service center. Otherwise it works perfectly. Would appreciate your comments, please. Thanks!

Curtis Nikel

Thanks for the response Allision Man. I did look on ebay and found the transmission you wrote about. In your reply do you feel that the price mentioned would be for all the work and parts or do you feel that this would be labour only? Can you also let me know if there would be a significant enough change in the driving of the motorhome?

Thanks again for getting back to me on this so quickly.

transrand

Curtis Nikel
The price I mentioned should be for parts and labor if you could get everything used and depending on the shop you choose to do the work. If you bought everything new expect to double that price. I think you can find good used parts if you look hard enogh though. Over time I have seen everything you would need on ebay. There are many pros and cons of course. I think you would get better MPG with the double overdrive. With fuel prices the way they are right now is almost good enough reason itself. The World Transmissions generally last very long under motorhome usage, but if they do malfuntion they can be much more expensive to fix. It is also hard to beat the way the World Transmission shifts.

transrand

rzcsprings:
I would have to agree with the Allison technical assistance. Get this fixed while under warranty.