Allison Transmission Questions

NH2

We hate to overburden the Allisonman but...
We're in the process of finalizing a hauler to pull our soon2own 33' 5er.
We'll be purchasing an International 4400LP DT570 engine 310HP 950ft/lbs. torque. We want an Allison 6sp. tranny but we're confused as to which model to select. The International dealer recommends the Allison 3000HS, but I've read that the Allison 3200TRV is more approriate for hauling a 5er. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RobbieAndTeresa

Allisonman,

In August we bought an 04 Kountry Star W22 chassis with Allison. When is a good time to change to transynd? Guess I should put more info, have about 2900 miles, and bought new.

NH2

RobbieAndTeresa,
If you go to page 1 of this thread you'll find your answer. Someone else asked a similar question. Or, simply do a "search" in this forum by typing in Transynd. Hope this helps.

AllisonMan

Hello LQ,
The transmission does not slip, it does not have what is called "lock-up" feature. The AT545 transmission is moved by hydralic pressure. If you have lock-up as the 2000 model has, you run with engine power. The AT545 is a fine choice for your vocation and will suit you well for the size of vehicle you have. You will not be able to put an exhaust braking system on it is all. This requires "lock-up" Thanksand have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Tug,
With DexronIII you should have your transmission service every 12 months even if you do not put a lot of miles on it. The inside of the transmission gets condensation in it just as the outside does when the MH sits. This moisture breaks down oil viscosity. Have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

1997 beaver,
Usually full throttle downshifts occure at 1450-1550 rpm. To do this though you need to step fully on the throttle. Without stepping all the way down on the throttle, your shifts will go down in rpm. Thanks and havea great day! :)

AllisonMan

cvrver,
At this time I have been unable to locate a vendor for a Tee fitting for the LCT 1000,2000 and 2400 model transmissions but I will keep trying. Have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi glock,
I would replace the vacume modulator first for the harsh downshifts, and as far as not shifting into 4th, I believe the engine may have gotten wet and is not turning the full 4000 rpm needed for it to make the shift. Let me know what happens after you check these out. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Robbieandteresa,
Your first service is due at 5000 miles and this would be a great time to have it cinverted to Transynde and also if you add transynde and do not have an extended warranty, ask your distributor now because with the synthetic oil, you can get up to a 5 year warranty if you so choose to do. Thanks you and have a great day! :)

1997beaver

Hi Allisonman, looks like you were burning the midnight oil trying to answer all these questions.
Thanks for attending to mine, the second part was::
My ECU has the following numbers,
29523023 MD3060 RPM 2400 Basic CIN 080041Z028N
can you tell me what it was set up for?
looked again and the CIN number may be 0800412028N the 7th number looks like Z or 2 thanks

Charlie

william phelps

Allison Man

I wrote you a year ago about a repower project I am doing. I have a 28ft airstream motorhome and I want to diesel it. My goal is to have plenty of power and get some where between 14 and 17 mpg. I have a friend who has done a similar transplant and is getting this kind of mileage. My coach only weighs 12000 lbs. The motor I have purchased is 93 230 cummins with an allison 3060 tec11. The engine seems to be a good choice, but the trans is huge. I could save 300 lbs. with a 1000. Can a 1000 be mated to a mechanical cummins? Would the 3060 cost me milage over the 1000. Another question that is haunting me is, will the severe downshift of the 3060 be to harsh for such a light coach. Do you have any other Ideas for what trans I should choose?

00fxds

Posted - Dec 06 2004 : 4:39:28 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------I am hopefully reposting this to the correct forum.

My recently purchased 31ft 1991 Spartan Chassis diesel pusher motorhome with a 160hp cummins 6bt came with an AT542. The previous owner had experienced the trans overtemp alarm coming on frequently. I noticed that the cooler was mounted on the rear exterior of the radiator thus having preheated air pushed thru it. It appears to have come from the factory in this configeration. Is this the normal mounting location for the cooler? This didn't make sense to me so I remounted the cooler and hooked up an electric cooling fan to it. I have not experienced the high temp alarm since moving the cooler. Also can anyone tell me the diffence between the at542 and the at545. I notice the specs allow for a higher vehicle weight with the 545. The specs also mention a retarder option with both of these models. Has anyone retrofitted either of these with the retarder, how does that work and any idea on the cost? I don't know that I have the room to upgrade to a larger trans with a lockup clutch as my driveshaft is already very short.
I am very new to the diesel pusher world so I am still having fun working the bugs out of my new toy. Any info or input would be appreciatated.
Thanks, Roger.

gdm03038

quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

Hello everyone from a new member. This question is for Allison Man if I may. I first changed my tranny fluid to Transyd at 16,000 miles along with both filters and drained what lines that I could. My coach is not subject to severe use. At what Mileage should I change the fluid again and should I use these new gold filters they are speaking of. I have the 2 inch sump. Thanks for your help.
Regards
George.
PS Sorry for this second post, not sure how to use this site yet.

Bush70

Allison Man
I have dexron in my transmission now. I was told by another allison dealer that if I change it to Transynd I would have to change it again in one year because you can't get all the Dexron out. He also said that on a motorhome that it would not be worth the money as the 3060 is a very good transmission and a motorhome would never hurt it. What is your advise? The coach has 40000 miles on it and seems fine.
Thanks again!!

Bush70

gdm03038

Just a little info. If you do change your filters I have fould that Inland Truck sells Allison Gold for about half of what others do. I can't even beat there price where I buy my truck parts wholsale.
Good Luck

RobbieAndTeresa

Allisonman, thanks for the response on the transynd. How do I go about getting the extended warranty when I have them change to the transynd? Is this done through the Workhorse service location or?? Also what is Allison's stance on Amsoil's synthetic trans fluid? Curious as I've seen alot of discussion about it on irv2 workhorse site.

Take care.

frfd

allison man
I have a 653 trans that we are getting ready to use in a fire dept rescue truck and have some questions on the shift points the 2/3 shift is at 2200 rpms the truck is a 96 IH 4700 was a electric company truck. The 3/4 and the 4/5 is at 2200 rpm also. Is the 2/3 shift point too high? if so how do we adjust it? we are a small dept with little funds any help would be greatly appreciated
The no load governer rpm is 2500 this is a dt466 220hp mt653 the serial# on tranny is 2410539071 the part# is 2951499295j06

icrman

Allison man,
It's been awhile since I've studied and worked on an Allison, what my question is, are the trimmer valves somewhat anologis to accumilators? Thus kinda modulating clutch apply pressure? Forgive my spelling.
Thank you.

srxer

Allisonman,
I am looking into purchasing a 1992 190 cummins pusher wit a AT545 trans. It has an exhaust brake installed and from reading this forum it is my understanding that they are useless on this trans because of no lock up convetor. Is there anything I should look for as far as trans damage or should I just stay away?
Thanks
SRXER

richmeister

Hi Allisonman,
I have a 2000 HR Endeavor motorhome with a Cat engine and Allison 3060 transmission. While traveling this winter, I noticed that every time that I put the cruise control on, the transmission would downshift to fifth gear and run for about 30 seconds and then shift back in sixth gear. Later the transmission downshifted while going down a slight grade, even though the exhaust brake was not on. What do you think, do I need to see an Allison repair center?