Allison Transmission Questions

Triple E

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

Hello db. When I follow my cooling lines from my MD3060 back to the radiator it appears that the engine and the transmission is using the same radiator for cooling. So I guess what I am asking is; Does the cooling coils for the transmission in the same radiator for the engine cooling coils? The reason I ask, the engine is over heating. The engine will be at 215 degrees but the transmission will be 170. I have been told that my radiator is plugged but I am thinking it could be my thermostate. Would there be any corralation between the engine temp. and the transmission temp? The thermostate is only two years old. I wash the radiator with Simple Green before every trip so I don't think the slobber tube is causing the problem. Also the cooling system was flushed and refilled before my last trip. Thank again. -Steve

dbarton291

Triple E - 7/31/2009 3:22 PM

Hello db. When I follow my cooling lines from my MD3060 back to the radiator it appears that the engine and the transmission is using the same radiator for cooling. So I guess what I am asking is; Does the cooling coils for the transmission in the same radiator for the engine cooling coils? The reason I ask, the engine is over heating. The engine will be at 215 degrees but the transmission will be 170. I have been told that my radiator is plugged but I am thinking it could be my thermostate. Would there be any corralation between the engine temp. and the transmission temp? The thermostate is only two years old. I wash the radiator with Simple Green before every trip so I don't think the slobber tube is causing the problem. Also the cooling system was flushed and refilled before my last trip. Thank again. -Steve

The two coolers are separate tanks. They do not share coils. They do share a physical connection of the two tanks, so they do influence each other. I would troubleshoot this as an engine overheating concern only.

Triple E

Thanks db. You told me what I needed know. Once again you are the man.

trevor

hello all;
i trying to bench connect a gen 4 1000 series TCM to Allison Doc via a Dearborn adaptor .
I have tried a DPA 4 + and a python !B.

i using the following tcm pins ;

battery 12v + = 10,70
battery 12v- = 9,69
ign key 12v + = 63
Can Hi = 6
Can lo =27

The markings on tcm are as follows

Engraved on TCM (Factory)

022848 10R022848

TCM = Allison A40 12Volt
ecm serial # = BK5321N08133F705
supplier base part number =ATA4003

Base part# =29545321
Fabrication date= 13 /05/2008

White sticker on TCM (OEM )

End model part# =94668488
broadcast code =8488
serial NBR= BK8488N08133F7D5
Allison CIN=48005HC001D
Service number=25798264

The TCM is from a 2008 GM Duramax light truck which i am
assuming uses a GM LAN protocol.

I am more familar with J1939 used in onhighway trucks.

What pin assignments would you guys use on the dearborn adaptors
for the CAN connectors?
As i cannot communicate with this TCM.

gtracer

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Hey AllisonMan, Thanks for all your answers and info. I had a problem with my MD 3060 and solved it just by reading old posts. Tha cable came off the TPS. Fixed with a washer and cotter pin. Thanks again. :) :) :) :) :)

Hey Allison man, I have a 1993 winnabago vectra with a 5.9 Cummins, M.D.3060 tan. when I turn on the key, the two n`s light up but the select one goes off. after I turn the key off and on several times the select light will stay on. and I can drive it. I talked to one shop and they though it was the shift pad, talked to a place that repair the shift pad and they thing its the ecu. any ideas? can Allison take the ECU and put on a tester and check it out? thanks jimmiediesel24

Raye3k

Has anyone experienced an Allison MT654 transmission jumping from 1st gear to second when going down hill?

Thanks
Ray

downard1

I've got several 600 series allisons and all of them will shift up to a higher gear when I lift off the throttle, especially going downhill. The older 600's won't hold a gear in off throttle situations like the newer electronic 3060's will.

downard1

I just realised that this is AllisonMan's posting domain. I've recently been trying to get some infomation that I'm desparately needing. I'd like to swap out a 643 allison that's currently running behind my mechanical 8.3 cummins with an MD3060P. I purchased a complete truck from a friend that has a blown 3126 Cat, so now I have the complete tranny (was working perfectly when the engine blew) with ECU, wiring harness, the correct axle ratio I'm going to need. I'm told to mate an electronic allison to a mechanical motor, I'll need to add a TPS, I'll also need a different flywheel/flexplate, I need to find a wiring schematic for the transmission and where to land the wires from the harness to my truck. I know it will be a bit of work, but the 3060's work so much better the the old 600 series transmissions. I just need pointed in the right direction to get started with this project.
P.S. Allison Man, you are indeed just that, "the man" Keep up the great work and help you've given to everyone. Decent folks in this day and age are a breath of fresh air.

dbarton291

downard1 - 9/11/2009 11:19 AM

I just realised that this is AllisonMan's posting domain. I've recently been trying to get some infomation that I'm desparately needing. I'd like to swap out a 643 allison that's currently running behind my mechanical 8.3 cummins with an MD3060P. I purchased a complete truck from a friend that has a blown 3126 Cat, so now I have the complete tranny (was working perfectly when the engine blew) with ECU, wiring harness, the correct axle ratio I'm going to need. I'm told to mate an electronic allison to a mechanical motor, I'll need to add a TPS, I'll also need a different flywheel/flexplate, I need to find a wiring schematic for the transmission and where to land the wires from the harness to my truck. I know it will be a bit of work, but the 3060's work so much better the the old 600 series transmissions. I just need pointed in the right direction to get started with this project.
P.S. Allison Man, you are indeed just that, "the man" Keep up the great work and help you've given to everyone. Decent folks in this day and age are a breath of fresh air.

The proper Allison troubleshooting manual will have the Allison wiring requirements but won't tell you exactly where to connect them on your truck. Can't help you there.

Those prices do sound a bit salty.

dbarton291

Raye3k - 9/11/2009 2:32 AM

Has anyone experienced an Allison MT654 transmission jumping from 1st gear to second when going down hill?

Thanks
Ray

You bet. You need to check the RPM of the valve body by using the assembly number on the side of the trans and check that against the engine you have.

You may have a mismatch of transmission RPM cal vs engine RPM.

You may also have a weak, or the wrong, 1-2 shift signal valve spring. Or the engine is simply turning real fast going down that hill.

dbarton291

jimmie diesel 24 - 9/10/2009 9:43 PM

Hey Allison man, I have a 1993 winnabago vectra with a 5.9 Cummins, M.D.3060 tan. when I turn on the key, the two n`s light up but the select one goes off. after I turn the key off and on several times the select light will stay on. and I can drive it. I talked to one shop and they though it was the shift pad, talked to a place that repair the shift pad and they thing its the ecu. any ideas? can Allison take the ECU and put on a tester and check it out? thanks jimmiediesel24

Allison never really made a service tool to do that. Some service outlets have rigged up simulators. Some have a test ECU. You gotta check around with some Allison outlets to see what they can do.

addisoj

Thanks in advance for all your help to us fellow RVers.

I have a 1994 Safari with a C8.3 Cummins and a MD3060 trans. I've noticed recently that when the transmission shifts, the speedometer will "PEG" at maximum speed until the shift is completed. It appears whenever the Trans Computer is commanding a shift solenoid, the speedometer will "PEG". This can be duplicated when stopped if you shift into reverse. When the "R" button is pressed from "N", the speedo will PEG and return to 0 MPH when the trans engaged into reverse.

I think I have a WTEC II controller (with integral controller/computer). I have quickly inspected the 2 connectors in the bottom of the controller, and they visually look OK. I've checked for DTCs, and none are present. The trans seems to shift fine with no driveabilty issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a wiring diagram for this system (which would be a great help if you have one handy).

my email is: josh.addison@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again.

dbarton291

addisoj - 9/19/2009 1:18 AM

Thanks in advance for all your help to us fellow RVers.

I have a 1994 Safari with a C8.3 Cummins and a MD3060 trans. I've noticed recently that when the transmission shifts, the speedometer will "PEG" at maximum speed until the shift is completed. It appears whenever the Trans Computer is commanding a shift solenoid, the speedometer will "PEG". This can be duplicated when stopped if you shift into reverse. When the "R" button is pressed from "N", the speedo will PEG and return to 0 MPH when the trans engaged into reverse.

I think I have a WTEC II controller (with integral controller/computer). I have quickly inspected the 2 connectors in the bottom of the controller, and they visually look OK. I've checked for DTCs, and none are present. The trans seems to shift fine with no driveabilty issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a wiring diagram for this system (which would be a great help if you have one handy).

my email is: josh.addison@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again.

This is a new one.

I would trace the wires connected to the speedometer to their sources and look for any splicing or shorts along the way which may induce an active signal into the speedo output.

The signal wire from the ECU to the speedo should come directly from the ECU to the speedo unless the OEM used a vehicle interface module. The speedo output wire from the ECU is circuit number 157, it comes from cavity B23 on the ECU connector.

If a VIM is in the system, the speedo signal will go into the VIM as circuit 157 in cavity B2 of the wiring harness, which is M2 on the VIM. It will exit the VIM from cavity H2. From there, the circuit designations are assigned by the OEM.

If the signal circuit is proper, check the power and ground circuits for the speedo itself and make sure they run cleanly to power and ground. You may want to disconnect the original power and ground and run separate power and grounds to the speedo to eliminate the vehicle wiring at this point. The circuit numbers for those are designated by the OEM, so I can't help you there.

Good luck.

downard1

dbarton291, I'm not too worried about where to land the wires on the truck, I can work that out through the trucks wiring diagram. Do they make a TPS that mounts at the injector pump or do I need to find something and attach it to the throttle pedal. Won't the 3060 just need power to operate and the TPS for operation. I know there will be some leads for warning lamps, temp, etc. but from an operation standpoint, to get the tranny to operate behind a mechanical engine what would be needed besides power for the computer (ECM), and the TPS (so the ECM can work it's magic). Williams DD in Columbus said I'd need a comm/port, but I'm not sure if the one in the truck I purchased combines trans and engine communication, or if the port is dedicated only to the allison. I'm thinking most of these diesel pushers with the allisons were build on Freightliner chassis'. If that's the case, do you suppose there's a pretty good chance a freightliner dealer might have the schematics I'd need to complete the wiring connections I'll have to make. I realize this is not something you might have concrete answers on, but a shot from the hip would help me along the way. Oh, and any idea where I'm going to need to go to get a TPS that will communicate with the 3060. Williams DD of Columbus' price of $750 seems a little out of the park.
Thanks a million.

dbarton291

downard1 - 9/21/2009 4:05 PM

dbarton291, I'm not too worried about where to land the wires on the truck, I can work that out through the trucks wiring diagram. Do they make a TPS that mounts at the injector pump or do I need to find something and attach it to the throttle pedal. Won't the 3060 just need power to operate and the TPS for operation. I know there will be some leads for warning lamps, temp, etc. but from an operation standpoint, to get the tranny to operate behind a mechanical engine what would be needed besides power for the computer (ECM), and the TPS (so the ECM can work it's magic). Williams DD in Columbus said I'd need a comm/port, but I'm not sure if the one in the truck I purchased combines trans and engine communication, or if the port is dedicated only to the allison. I'm thinking most of these diesel pushers with the allisons were build on Freightliner chassis'. If that's the case, do you suppose there's a pretty good chance a freightliner dealer might have the schematics I'd need to complete the wiring connections I'll have to make. I realize this is not something you might have concrete answers on, but a shot from the hip would help me along the way. Oh, and any idea where I'm going to need to go to get a TPS that will communicate with the 3060. Williams DD of Columbus' price of $750 seems a little out of the park.
Thanks a million.

The Allison TPS is a linear resistor with a cable that attaches to the throttle linkage at the pump. Make sure you use a yield link arrangement that ensures if the TPS cable sticks, the engine throttle will return to idle.

Besides power for the TCM, you'll need to wire up the neutral start function and a trans check light at a minimum. For the wiring requirements, I'd get the correct Allison troubleshooting manual from www.allisontransmission.com and go from there. I believe there's a publications section in the website from which you can order manuals.

If you have a mechanical engine, the engine and trans can't communicate because the engine has no computer. They must be referring to the diagnostic connector for the trans.

To shop for a TPS, you can go to www.allisontransmission.com and click on the service locator. There's a huge service network of Allison dealers and distributors out there you can contact to see if that price for the TPS is right or not.

I hope this helps.

ratherbflyn

Temp Sensor location

Hi allison man, thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I have a '96 Gulfstream Sun Voyager diesel pusher with an allison md3060 and cummins 5.9. It has a banks temp guage installed (just gauge, no kit), but the gauge never registers any temp. I've had both the guage and sensor checked...both function. Gauge looks like this http://truck.hownd.com/product-1137-gale-banks-engineering-transmission-oil-temperature-gauge.html.

However, the sensor is installed in the side of the oil pan on the "from cooler" side. See pic #1 which is looking at the forward driver's side corner of the pan. I've read the other postings in this thread about installing it in line on the "to cooler" line, but I don't see any plug for doing so. Is the sensor supposed to go on the "to cooler" line or fitting some place or on the oil pan on the "to cooler" side some where? Pic #2 is the "to cooler" fitting. Sorry for the poor pics...didn't have a lot of light or room.

Well, looks like website won't let me post pics right now...some sort of error.

Triple E

RE: Temp Sensor location

Well I am not the Allison Man but I can tell you what he told me. Mount the sensor to the "to cooler" port. I also have a MD3060 with a 3126 Cat. I noticed that your gauge does not start reading until 140 degrees. My gauge range is 70 to 300. My normal temp is around 125. Very seldom do I get over 140. Only on hot days and climbing steep grades. The highest temp that I can remember is 170. I think my gauge is a Glow Shift Gauge. You might try a lower temperature loop.
You might need to install a Tee where you cooling line is connected to your transmission. That way you can install your temp sensor.