Inexpensive Campgrounds?

onthecoach

Hello All---

Now that we have FINALLY dug ourselves out of over 60" of snow in the Golden, CO area, we are looking for some place to spend NEXT winter. We are looking for someplace with moderate temps, not warm, but not freezing either. NO SNOW!!! Occasional rain is ok, but not 5 months of rain!

Also....someplace REASONABLE! So far, most of the places we have seen online and in our directories are running $600-$800 a month!

We welcome any suggestions!!!

Thanks!

TexasClodhopper

Re: Inexpensive Campgrounds?

There's only one place that fits all of your requirements.

Rockport - Aransas Pass, Texas just north of Corpus Christi.

hertig

Don't know about the price, but Tucson has the weather. Usually at least 50 degrees during the day. Can get down to freezing in the early morning some days, but not many. This year we got as low as 28 degrees a few times and actually had .6 inches of snow this year, so probably won't see any more for another 10 years or so. Rain is pretty rare, usually only a few days here or there (it is the desert :) )

DL Rupper

Benson, AZ isn't too bad either. You can spend a month or 2 in Tuson and travel over to Benson (50mi) for a month or 2. The towns by Benson include Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Tomestone and Douglas. All fun to see. The area is where Cochise hung out. When you get bored drive up to the mining towns East of Apache Junction, AZ or over to Silver City, NM.

Texas_Camper

I agree with Clodhopper and would add that the Rockport-fulton area has some very nice campgrounds. So does Palacios and lot's of places in Southern Texas. If you go into the Rio Grande Valley, you find lot's of "Winter Texans". We don't call them snowbirds, but winter texans. You'll need reservations.
The Texas Hill country is nice and lot's of lakes there too.
hth.

Kirk

Check out the Rio Grande River Valley. There are hundreds of RV parks along the river from Brownsville up through Mission. The cost can range from around $250/month for just a full hook-up site to as much as $500/month for one that has enough activities that you hardly need to leave the park. Just across the river is Mexico with lots of cheap shopping, hair cuts, beauty shops, medicines, dentists, and many others. The valley has great fresh fruit and vegetables in stands on every other corner. And it is quite a bit warmer that the Rockport area, although we did enjoy it there as well.

RVsoul

Definitely try Florida or the Carolinas. Some really nice resorts at very reasonable prices!!! I am not sure if Key West is on your cards but you should look into that too

utmtman

RE: Inexpensive Campgrounds?

Let me as a question here, what is the humidity like in Texas in Winter. I know it can be miserale in summer. Thanks for your answers.

Texas_Camper

It gets up to 110 dailly in AZ, but its a dry heat so you one doesn't feel it. In the Rio Grande Valley, it's a dry humidity, so one doesn't feel it...
Now Florida is something else...

utmtman

I traveled across Texas and Louisiana than up to Pennsyvania a couple of years ago, I swear himidity started the minute i crossed the border into Texas and only got worse and worse as we traveled along until we got back across the mississippi on the way home. We want to head south winter of 2008 or 2009. And go full timing from then on. So we are looking at every thing and everyones comments about where they go others go and so on.

DL Rupper

I thought we were discussing winter RV'ing. What is this 110 degrees in Arizona. The temp averages about 60/80 degrees in AZ in the winter, depending on where you are located. Definately not in Flagstaff or Showlow. The hills/mountains of Benson, AZ is a little cooler than down in the valley by Tuson. :bleh:

Shadow

utmtman, eighty five percent humidity at ninety to a hundred degree's, unbearable. Eighty five percent humidity at forty five to sixty five degree's will not be an issue. My wife just love's this time of year. Give Texas a shot one winter and see what you think. You seem to like the cool weather, so I would not go much further south than the Rockport area.

RVsoul

try Jamar resort in the Tampa area (Florida). They have pretty reasonable prices

onthecoach

I found a great website that has historical weather statistics such as, high temps, low temps, snow fall, rain fall, humidity and lots more!! Check it out:
www.weatherbase.com

The other half is still talking about Vacaville, CA -- but I'm pulling for Western or SW Arizona!!

Texas_Camper

I'm having trouble figgerin' out which half is which, but if mama wants Vacaville, then it's Vacaville...
Or that's the way it works for me...
Looks like you've settled for the left half of the US of A... but if you change your mind and come to Texas, please please please leave that white stuff in CO....

onthecoach

OH Man---Texas Camper.....BELIEVE ME -- I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONE with this SNOW!! We just got another 8" yesterday + the WIND!!!

That's why Mama wants South Arizona....Vacaville is too much rain in the winter, plus it's very expensive!!

And, you are correct, Sir---what Mama wants, Mama usually gets!!! LOL!! :laugh: