level

spearson99

Can someone give me some advice on the best way to level? More specifcally, should I unhook once I get my axles close to level with blocks? If I do this, how do you lock the set of tires that are up on blocks?
I have had some concern on uneven ground with the unit "tipping" as i get the corners levelled.

Basically i have some blocks that i will put under one set of tandem wheels to get the trailer level across the "8 foot". I then unhook and use the tongue jack to get things close and use the 4 corner sissor jacks to stabilize things....Is this correct? If yes, how, or what do i do to lock down the tandem wheels up on blocks...the other side i used the wheel stops but up on blocks is another story and they are actually free to turn...thus the tipping possiblity.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: level

First of all, you should NOT be taking a set of tires off the ground!!!!

Use 2x8's or Lynx leveling blocks to get level left to right. Only use what you need to get level and I mean under one side only. Then level front to back with the front jack. NOW, you use your corner stabilizing jacks to stabilize only. Do not use them to lift the trailer off the ground.

As I tell my customers, Level THEN Stabilize.

After you get level, use tire chocks between the tires to stop any extra wiggling around.

2old2sit

Does it hurt to set the chocks between the tires before unhooking and leveling front-to-back? I always worry about the trailer rolling off the levelers and the blocks I place under the jack.

spearson99

got it and makes sense.

One question however...once I pull up onto the 2x8's, and let's say I need to double up (as 3" is required to level left and right), how do you put a wheel chock in place? The wheel is a full 3" off the ground and thus the chocks are useless are they not?

Thanks

Grandview Trailer Sa

OK, when I say wheel chocks, I am talking about the type that go between the tires and spread out, squeezing the tires. This really locks down the trailer from wiggling around. Sorry for the confusion.

If you want to use the triangle chocks that you have, just use a longer piece of wood and jam them into the tire on TOP of the wood.

DL Rupper

If you feel uneasy about not using the chocks while unhooking and leveling front to back, put them (chocks) in very loose just to stop the trailer if it starts to move/roll to far. As Kenneth said, the trailer wheels should and will adjust/move slightly while leveling.

I have unhitched on some pads/spots that were on a fairly steep grade front to back and I always put my individual yellow plastic chocks in loosely, allowing an inch or so movement of the tires, before unhitching. After I get level I put in the metal adjustable chocks between the tires.