RV Batteries

xcheck21

I am replacing my RV batteries, the dealer states that 2 6 volts will last longer than 2 12 volts. Is there any truth to that? Has anyone had any experience with both? Of-course, the 6 volters are more expensive than the 12 volters. Does he just want to make more money on me?

Thanks everyone. :cool:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: RV Batteries

I have been told that, but my Interstate dealer denies it. He says that two 12 volt batteries will do better. I am sure there are arguments both ways. I have tow 12's on my trailer and have no problems. I have used those batteries on 2 trailers for almost 3 years now.

DL Rupper

I have always heard/read, by those that are in the know, that two 6 Volt Golf Cart batteries wired in series (12 Volts) will last a lot longer while boon-docking. If you don't run your RV off battery power (boon-dock/dry camp) very often there's not much point in putting 6 V batteries in your RV.

I dry camp sometimes, but my problem is that 6 V batteries are bigger than my 12 Volt batteries and won't fit in the available space. :eek:

utmtman

My interstate battery tech in Utah told me some four years ago that two 6's will last longer on a draw than two 12's. Dont know how or why.

DL Rupper

I use Walmart 12 V Marine deep cycle batteries. I buy the biggest one they sell for around $70 each. They usually last about 3 years of full-timing. The trick is don't let them totally discharge. When I'm dry camping I use a 10 amp deep cycle charger running off my generator to keep the batteries charged. I only run the generator about 3-4 hrs a day.

TexasClodhopper

How can you possibly compare any kind of battery without stating/knowing the capacity of the batteries you are comparing?

LEN

A good indicator on what the performance of a battery is, it's weight and whether it was built for quick discharge(starting) or slow deep as for RV deep-cycle. The numbers tell the story. I run 4 Trojans and they seem to do the job 1 hour gen time morning and evening even using the furnace in moderate temps and the micro on the batteries and there all but topped off. And of course the usual TV and puter.

LEN

utmtman

Dang I paid 250 dollars a peice for my 6 volt batteries last year after my converter burned them up. I also now put mineral oil in the cells to slow down the evaporation of water. Previous batteries I had to had water every month to every other month. New batteries are now 7 and a half months old and have yet had to add water.

H2H1

Hello Lee, how did you come about the knowledge of adding mineral oil to battery water? and how much did you put into each battery. My batteries are about 3 years old and I have only put distilled water in them maybe once or twice and not much each time.

utmtman

It was a tech letter I come across on the net way back when. They suggested mineral oil once you were up on the water to help with evaporation. You only use a teaspoon or less.

utmtman

PS do a google search on mineral oil in batteries and you will find a few different places that talk about it.

orvhazelton

I long ago switched from 12V lead/acid house batteries to two 12V AGMs. Mine are from Lifeline, and I paid $254 each for them. My experience with them has proven them trouble-free. . . I won't go back. As always, oRV

TexasClodhopper

FYI,

AGM batteries have extremely low internal resistance, making them, suitable for high current discharge marine applications like inverters, thrusters, and winches, as well as engine starting.

AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat batteries use high purity materials and lead calcium grids for low self discharge,which they won't drain during long periods without charge. AGM batteries have M8 drilled, flat copper terminals for the best possible connection contact and to eliminate the need for battery terminals.

hamdave

The question is valid, but like Tex said earlier, how can you say which is better without knowing usage, amp-hr rating, and several other factors that affect how they are used. For some of us, if we're connected to power all the time, a SINGLE marine-rv batt will do just fine on a smaller rig, where it might take two of them or the bigger 6's in series to handle slides, and other heavy DC loads. Suggest you google battery types on the web. You'll get a lot of information most of which you may not want to even know.

Good luck

jaz1949

RE: RV Batteries

A 12v 29 series deep cycle battery has a cycle life of 150
complete cycles, where as the 6 volt GC2's have over 700
cycles( A cycle is discharged down to 10.92 volts or completely discharged)
Because of the thickness of the plates and the size of the plates the
6 volts have more than double the capacity and will last 3-4 times longer.

DL Rupper

Well as I said on an earlier post I use the 12V 29 series (deep-cycle) batteries from Wal-Mart and they cost around $70 each and they last around 3 years. I do not boon-dock very often so the batteries are hooked up to shore power most of the time. However, for $70 opposed to $250 you can buy three + 12V batteries for the price of one 6V battery. I guess it comes down to whether or not you dry camp enough to make buying the 6V battery worth while.

Stormin

I have a class A diesel. When stored for the winter, should I keep coach plugged into electric to keep house and chassis batteries topped off or is it better to let them run down.

rjf7g

In theory, all things equal except the voltage of the batteries, 2-12V in parallel will last longer than 2-6V in series.

DL Rupper

Not so Becky. Read jaz1949 post. The 6 V in series (12 Volts) will last approximately 3 times longer.