Internet, Telephone and TV!!!

Captain Ron

Hello People,

I have been planning on Full Timing for years. I amretired from the US Army and am on a fixed income if not working. I am going to be ready in April for my first volunteer position at a State Park in Kentucky. There are a few amminities that I require to make life more comfortable which are Internet Access, Telephone and TV. I have located and am using Mobile Broad Band supplied by a company called Millenicom. Just check out the site and make your own decision. Telephone access is solved by this handy device called MagicJack. VOIP at an incredible price. Dish Network has a prepaid satellite service which has differant packages at differant prices and they have the channels I need to live.:) .

I hope this information helps current full timers and future full timers like myself.

Happy Motoring,

Captain Ron

LEN

Re: Internet, Telephone and TV!!!

Only problem I see is you are using Sprint, which is good for populated areas but the coverage isn't out in the boonies other services have better coverage.

Welcome

LEN

Browzin

I have Sprint and have found there coverage to comparable to everyone else.
If you check coverage area maps you will find that there is not a lot of true difference in coverage area as there was a year or two ago.
Alltel maps http://content.alltel.com/business/enhanced/mobilelink_coverage.jsp?state=nat
AT&T maps http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
Sprint maps http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp
Verizon maps http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorContorller?requesttype=NEWREQUEST/

Captain Ron

DL Rupper - 2/15/2009 8:47 AM

Still sounds like Capt Ron is trying to advertise free. :laugh:

No I am not trying to advertise for free. This post was to give some information which I thought some people could use. After all this forum called "Full Timing, Comments, questions, or suggestions for full-time RVers."

Captain Ron

LEN

Browzin, better take a look out west, Sprint is down the freeways and around the big cities. Now if this is where your camping great but for the last month I have been in Bouce AZ Quartzsite Az ans Anza Borrego Ca and I have good cell and EVDO and I have neighbors that don't. Also I have played games going down the road with freinds going places that have ATT, Sprint, and Alltel and found that ATT and Vesizon have quite an edge over the others, not in the populated areas but in the desert mountain and unpopulated areas. And the area maps LIE big time on all the nets. JMO

LEN

rjf7g

I think your camping patterns and geography still play a huge role in what works best for you. My air card is through nTelos -- ever heard of them? They provide great coverage in the state of Virginia, which is where I do all of my camping at this point.

raskal

We began using Verizon while we still had our stick house in Botetourt County, Virginia, and have kept it as we've become full-time across the USA. The wireless card and phone have not failed us yet no matter the road or locations ... Florida north to Maryland, west on the northern route through Minnesota to Montana and down through California then back into Arizona and New Mexico thus far.

TV, well we've been fine with the antenna and HD now ... of course it's nicer when we find cable.

DL Rupper

Hey Captain Ron, welcome to the forum. We get a lot of people that try to advertise for free. Doesn't sound like you are one of them. My apologies. :)

pezar

Verizon recently bought Alltel. Once the two companies are integrated, they will have THE BEST coverage in the US. Alltel mainly served rural areas.

onthecoach

HI! Question: Don't you need to have a land-line to use Magic Jack?? I've seen it advertised, but since I only use my cell phone, I didn't think it could work for me. Maybe I need to look into that??

otoko0802

onthecoach,
MagicJack works well over any high speed connection to the Internet except perhaps satellite. I use MJ with my Verizon wireless EVDO connection.

rddog8691

I also did some research on Magic Jack and was going to give it a shot but then heard there was a problem when you had an emergency and had to dial 911. still looking for more info on this.

utmtman

pezar, sadly the FCC would not let Verizon keep alltels assets, they were force to sell it all to At&t in order to keep up competition. Capt Ron, Had sprint once and dish once, sprint had 0 coverage in rural areas and dish network does not support rvers. Direct tv does support rvers and verizon and at&t have got the best rural coverage in the US.

C Nash

Sitting here now trying Verizon and had to go out side to get it to work at all. SLOOOOOW. Taking it back. Have had dish for several year and have had no trouble taking it whereever we go. The tech even installed the second receiver in the MH.

*scooter*

I now how ya feel with the internet and all. At home, I have HughesNet and I would rate it fair to poor. Sometimes I spend hours on the phone trying to get the thing back online and work properly. I recently changed from Dish (TV) to Direct TV. Still don't have a clue how to use it in the motorhome. I have a dish on top the MH, but putting the receiver and dish together in the MH and connecting to the tv set is a mystery. It's a shame too :(
Hang in their C Nash.

G

u guys need the internet in motion thingy ,, it provides antennas on the roof of the rv ,, and u still use u'r cell card ,, but it get's out much better ;)