Utah's Red Rock Country

DL Rupper

Re: Utah's Red Rock Country

Hey 730, been to both Grants and Gallup. Stayed at the Red Rock Park in Gallup twice. We took Highway 666 to Cortez, CO and on to Utah Red Rock Country.

DL Rupper

RE: Utah's Red Rock Country

Starting to get a few private messages concerning Nat'l Parks in southern Utha, so I thought I'd revive this post/thread. ;)

brodavid

Good timing, everybody is getting ready to go RVing, need places to go and things to see
God bless
msjackie

Buckeye Chuck

Hi all,

I was just out there in June 2007. It was the most amazing and beautiful part of the country that I've been to so far. I can't wait to get back there. The 100 degree temps. did not bother us at all. The A/C on our camper kept up with no problem. BTW not a drop of water came out of it. I guess that tells you something about the humidity or lack of it. I've felt hotter and sweat more in Michigan with temps in the low 80s.

-BC-

smokem

Well....

This post caught my eye easily:) We moved to Utah in 03 and NO we are not Mormons! First question everyone asks us when we're out galavantin`. Figured this is a good as place as any to throw in my two cents worth. As a transplanted "yankee" i'd be quick to say that i've NEVER lived in a more beautiful place and have lived in a few states/countries. Utah's most scenic areas are seen basically while driving. We have been to all the National Parks again and again and again. Every trip we see something different that was missed previously! Now we have also been to the Grand Canyon (both North & South rims) and it's spectacular to see. Yet, Dead Horse State Park in Moab is equally if not moreso......GRAND!!! We often take our guests to Moab to see the Arches and Dead Horse State Park. Been to Moab at least a dozen times in the 5 years we've lived here.

The first problem/difference we discovered is that the drivers here are 10 times worse then those from Joisey. The natives here make my blood boil every time i drive with'm on the interstate. but....back to the subject(don't wanna get started on this track) Another difference is that is......whereas back East there's lots of guardrails, here they seem to be non-existent. Get accustomed to white knuckle driving if you visit Utah. Your sphincter will tighten to a degree that you'd think is impossible for a molecule to get past. Most county and state routes in canyon and the mountains don't have any protection as far as guardrails. It always seems to be straight down and you can count on meeting other white knuckle drivers being in your lane! that is if they have the vertical dropoff on their side. Open range is common too. Horses, cows, and sheep can suddenly cross in front of you on quite a few of the back country roads. The only other thing you need to remember is that LEO is often driving a pick up truck out here in the west.

Having said all this.....i need to add/stress/emphasize that Utah is a definite must-see!!! The natives might be a bit crazy driving or in their thought process, but at least they are VERY friendly!!! We couldn't ask for better neighbors! Great place for family fun! If you break down along the highway, people here will stop and offer help. We always carry water with us and generally stop to ensure that either a stranded motorist has help coming and offer water bottles to them. ....learned this because the natives have done the same for us. in this day and age, one still must use caution though. Oh! one more observation and i will stop. Back east, the pan handlers generally work the streets. They are more sophisticated here. They drive their vehicles to a shoppin center and approach you sayin` they can't get home because they ran out of gas and have no money. Constantly gettin "hit upon" out here. One pan handler had 3 women workin for him. i didn't fall for the line of bull. Having learned my lesson! Generally i pull out and park elsewhere and observe. (if i have time) The first time i donated and then observed the guy continue with his line to a woman. got my money back and saved her from making my mistake.

gotta run.........happy trails. Bud

elkhartjim

Heck Bud, here in Texas we saved the tax payers money by not putting up guard rails. They wouldn't stop a compact car...what are they going to doing with my30,000 lbs plus MH?

smokem

well....you're right about the western states savin` money. guess it's just a different aspect here in the West. You go off the road here, chances are you will just end up in the desert. But back east it's enough of a barrier (sometimes) to prevent one from ending up in somebodies bedroom or living room. Plus, it gives the state workers some sort of pretense that they actually do some work painting or replacing them. Three flagmen/women and one guy working.

DARLING

That;s the gov't way. Recently they started putting up railing so peds & bicycles would not fall in to the ditches & drown after a rain.

What ever happened to personal responsibility :question: :question:

Darlin :cool:

elkhartjim

"What ever happened to personal responsibility" she ask's?

The government got involved...you know they know best for us.

DL Rupper

I'm heading West soon. Can't wait to see it all again. Utah we love thee.

Just for your info, in case you want to ask, both our Great-great Grandfathers were Mormon polygamist's. Mine had 5 wives and my wife's was the cousin of Joseph Smith (George A. Smith). He had 7 wives. We are "Jack Mormon's". If you're not familiar with Utah and Mormonism that might throw you.

Hey smokem, glad you like Utah. It's a great place to raise kids. Well it was. It might be getting crowded now that California chased out their conservatives with high taxes.

smokem

We decided this morning that our first `venture in thr RV together with the kids (fourlegged) will be a return to our favorite destination in Utah. Moab!!! Won't be hauling the Ranger/trailer until next month. i need some time getting used to it and the RV set up. Unlike other trips to Moab, i don't imagine we will hit/visit the National parks. It's going to be a dry run....so i can get accustomed to handling it. We have met a few polygamists. One can't help but meet them or bump into it if you live here.:) 90% of our neighborhood is LDS and again i must say, you won't meet nicer folks. The religeon has it's quirks....but don't we all have`m?

TexasClodhopper

DL, that's the next thing on my list of ways to harrass and abuse members of this forum: ask about their religious beliefs! That gets 'em everytime! :clown:

I want to see "your" country so bad I'm grinding my teeth! Looks like next year, though. :(

utmtman

Hey I am a true blue born and bred Utahn, sorry I am a Methodist tho. We dont need guardrails in Utah we either dont drive off the roads from bad drivin like californians and other tourists or we have 4x4 so we can go off any time we need to do some explorin. Smokem, take a little ride down to Californy and than let me know how you feel about them thar Utah drivers. LOL Hey and some of them irk me to no end. But we all cant be perfect. When I come home from the army in 79 I had a Mustang Cobra turbo charged dodge and chevy eater and since it had californy plates on it I got half a dozen of the dumbest tickets in the world, in Utah. So changed my plates to purty Utah ones and never got another ticket with that car. Ok nuff braggin. Glad you luv me state. I luv it too. Got 6 of me 8 kids livin there. Cant be all bad. LOL

utmtman

We all know you used to be one of them thar good Utahns DL but me thinks you said something about leaving and movin to parts unknown??? lol sorry could not resist the dig.

DL Rupper

It's all about money. The parts unknown was the HQ Air Force Logistics Command, Wright Patt AFB, OH. The move made retirement at 51 years old and full-timing possible. Well worth the 15 years and 5 moves (OH, CA, OH, IL, OK)required. :) :cool: :laugh: :approve:

DL Rupper

Spring is on it's way and Utah's Red Rock country is also great in the spring, so I thought I would revive this old thread. I know I'm the author, but I like to read it. Reminds me of what I'm missing now that I've retired from Full-timing and RVing. :eek:

Cruzincat

Thank you for bringing it back. My wife and I discovered Southern Utah back in 04 when in Vegas. We came that year with the intention of checking out Zion and Bryce and ended up going over to Lake Powell as well. The North Rim had just re-opened so we dropped down to look it over on the way back to Vegas.
Once we get an RV that area will be one of the first we spend a lot of time in.

LEN

Ok DL time to start thinkin about a smaller RV maybe a slidein or TT or smaller 5ver for the weekend(OH your retired) for a couple weeks at a time.

Sittin in Tucson(gun show this mornin) then where to next.

LEN