Allison Transmission Questions

AllisonMan

Hi baja,
Sure you can perform your own service and flush yourself.
1. Remove drainplug and drain fluid.
2. Remove pan and save gasket because it is re-usable
3. Drain and clean pan
4. Re-install pan and torque bolts to 20 ft.lbs.Internal filter change is not neccessary only at overhaul.
5. Change external filter
6. Add approx. 4 gals. Transynde
7. Remove cooler return line from transmission (one with arrow pointing towards transmission)
8. Have someone start transmission and let approx 1 gal. oil come out of the cooler return line into a bucket.Then tell person to shut off truck.
9. Re-install line onto transmission.
10. Adjust oil to correct level 140 deg F
Just keep these instructions and warranty should be no problem if you do on your own.

Thanks for the ? and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Dmartin,
Just call local dealer or distributor and order the part(shift pad kit). The instructions for taking apart and assembly of shift pad are in the package. Just take a dry clean rag and gently clean the electrical contact points under the inlay, you will see what im talking about once pad is disassembed. Thanks and have a :) great day!

AllisonMan

Hello Handyman,
The noise is coming from the pinions on the carriers. This model transmission had straight cut gears which cause that whining noise you hear. Typical for an AT545. As far as the transmission not lasting, from past experience on this vehicle, check your shift lever at the transmission. Does it have 2 holes to choose from that the pivot pin can be inserted? I remember a fleet of school buses that vintage that the pin was in the wrong hole and the shift linkage was out of adjustment. Another big problem is if the electric modulator if you have one is not getting a signal and if you have a round "feldsted" cable modulator, they fail frequently also. Hopefully the company that did the work check everything possible that may have caused the failure. I hope this helps. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi bksnoopy,
You may have 2 different things to check out here. First there is one bolt that holds these sensors in and the bolt goes to a bracket. Remove the one on the bcak of the transmission. Stick a screwdriver in the hole and see if the square cut tonewheel moves or spinds. If it does, this is the problem. If it is tight, take that rear sensor and put it in the front sensor hole (engine speed sensor) and put front one in rear hole. then drive and see if you get code 22 14. If you do, you have a bad sensor. Replace the one that is now in the engine speed sensor hole (front) Please let me know what happens. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hello agood,
downshifting problems on that vintage can be a few things, Could you do me a favor and check the shift tower for codes? How you do this is with the key in the ignition position, press the up and down arrows on the shift pad at the same time. If it comes up OL--, press the two arrows one more time. What you need it to say is D1 -- if it comes up D1 and 4 numbers after that, you have logged a code. Write nubers down and let me know. I guess you will have a D1 21 12 which is the throttle position sensor. With the vintage of the coach, it may have come disconnected at the engine throttle arm or worn.
The leak is a lil easier. On each side of your transmission there is a hole the dipstick can be located it. Check the side opposite the dipstick. There probably is an old style plug with what feels like a bolt head on top of it. If this is what you have, when you shut off your coach and the oil level goes above this plug, it will leak. Good luck and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

To all of you here at RVUSA
Thank you for all your great questions but I am sorry to inform you that due to my busy schedule and the surprising overwhelming amount of questions,I am going to have to refrain from further questions. This does not mean I will not be able to answer your problems that no one else wants to, just give me a call here at Pacific Detroit Diesel Allison in Ridgefield Washington @ 360 887-7556 or my E-mail to my office is rfranzen@pacificdda.com.
I started out doing this as a hobby, well the hobby got too big LOL. I appreciate all the questions and had a blast answering them. Some of you had some real tough ones but I hope I helped a little. I will check this post for a couple more weeks just in case answers or comments need to be posted. I wil;l not leave you out in the cold LOL.
As I always say "Thanks and have a great day!" :laugh:

pilotreef

hi allison man
I have md3060, with a 300 cummins. after a long shut down period I can't get it to go into gear. after 20 minutes of pressing the pad, (harder than I should have to) it finally responds. the idle is at
the recommended 800 and the fluid is where it should be.
can you help? thanks wayne

chriss

Hello allison man

Im having a problem with my MD3060 6 speed allison trans, its in a 1994 gulfstearm. It takes around 40 mins of warm up time before transmisson will go into gear or work at all, the eletronic push botton does not work for that period of time, after warm up it is very slow about changing in and out of gears. But once it has been ran for a while (1 hour plus) it seems to begin to work great, in the summer the trans needs no warm up time and works great. the trans only has about 62000 miles

Do you now what the problem is and how I could fix it? maybe the cost?

Thanks Chriss

jimmpat

hi there we lived in ak for over 20 years and have driven the alcan at least 70 times about 20 in a diesel pusher i saw on your inquirey to allison man that you worked on haul trucks where at i worked at red dog,nixon fork,and illinois creek mines e-mail back and we can chat :)

Champ2u

Hello A-Man,
I'm new here. First, this is my truck layout: 2004 Chevy 2500HD Silverado CrewCab 4X4 Duramax with Allison tranny, Hypertech programmer, K&N filter (OEM replacement), 6inch ProComp lift, 16X8 Weld racing EVO Velocity 8 rims and 315/75/16 BFG AT tires.

Chevy booklet states changing the "external control main filter" at 7500 miles. Now is this the filter that has been stated here called "spin on"? Is it the one that looks like a little oil filter screwed onto the mid bottom of the tranny? I'm at just over 7500 miles and like to get this done.

#1: What are the procedures on changing it and is it doing it yourself or having the dealer do it due to warranty stuff?

#2: Does using a Hypertech programer for the Durmax help or hinder the tranny since my truck is lifted with 315/75/16 tires?

#3: This might be pushing it, but any info on Banks exhaust system (cat-back) and Airaid intake system helping the truck? Just thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Vixen21TD

[Vixed 21TD 5spd Turbo diesel pusher motorhomes are known for their excessively high first gears and rubbery shift linkage contolling the trans axle some 20' behind it.

We are interested in converting the Renault transaxle to an Allison 3000MH. We have a full machine shop, so custom fabrication is not much of an issue. I would like your opinion re:

* Cost of the transmission itself (NEW) and/or the likelyhood of locating a used unit to save $$$
** The general concept and any special things we should watch out for in taking on this task.

Thanks for your help!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

canadyco

hey chevy i am in the same boat i was wondering if you have found recalibration for the duramax or if regearing works my truck is having problems only when towing my trailer please let me know

GLSmock

What transmission is used by Ford.I have a ford 460 automatic/overdrive.Is it an Allison tranny?GL :8ball: :question:

larry6053

I purchased a used 92 Bounder with a 5.9 Cummins pac brake exhaust brake and a at545 Allison. The Trans failed at 80,000 mi. and was rebuilt, 6000 mi. later the torque convertet went out. I was told that the reason for the failures is the use of the exhaust brake with this transmission since it has no locking torque converter Is this the case in your opinion. If so should i replace the 545 with a 600 sieries trans with a locking torque converter to eliminate the problem. thanks

KJS_1995Eagle

Allison man ! Hello.
I have the 3060 in my 95 eagle ( fleetwood ) The temp guage was acting odd, jumping to the max temp and bouncing around, then it ( guage) stopped working al together. Is there a general / typical problem that I can research to get things back to normal? I am pretty mechanical if pointed in the right direction. I am not sure where to check first, sending unit, guage itself etc..... Thank you in advance for a response.

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Sullivan
www.kjsullivan.com

weekender

Hi AllisonMan,

Let me just state the obvious from the start, Your Awesome!
I just bought a 2004 2500HD Chevy with a Vortec 6000 and I assume it has an Allison Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic overdrive HD.
Where would you recommend that I take it for future service is the Sacramento, CA. area?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

2 DA WDS

I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 with 8.1 and allison. When towing with cruise control on at the sloghtest grade the tranny will shift from OD down 2 gears. This causes the engine to rev to 4000 or so rpm. Is there an adjustment to let it shift out of od sooner or keep it from shifting to what I guess is third?

garryp

TRANSMISSION "HUNTING"

I have Allison HD4060 paired with Cummins M-11 in a motorhome. When cruising in 6th, and encountering a slowly increasing incline, at some point the tran will downshift to 5th.

However, if throttle is held steady, the trans will continually shify between 5th and 6th, up and down, over and over. Is this characteristic normal?

I either override to 5th gear, or select the "economy mode". In economy mode tthe above described symptom will stop.

While I can run in economy to avoid the shifting, the question is:

Is this a condition the really begs for attention from an Allison service visit?

Bill Sr

I have an at545 transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd but will not shift to 3rd or 4th. Could this be a govenor problem and how can I tell.

transrand

I have an at545 transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd but will not shift to 3rd or 4th. Could this be a govenor problem and how can I tell.

First I would check to make sure the modulator is not too tight. The modulator should move an eighth inch beyond the throttle linkage at full throttle. Make sure you are getting enough engine rpm to make the shift. Rule of thumb is 200 rpm beyond full throttle shift point. The governor is a posability but not likely if it makes one shift. Beyond this you would have to go into the valve body.