Allison Transmission Questions

dbarton291

03Renegade;73943 said:
Looking to get some thoughts on a vibration problem. I have a 2003 Renegade with a Cat c12 and allison HD4060. Bought it used with 45,000 miles put on about 10,000 miles on it. It has a vibration or growling noise coming from the transmission area. I notice it more in 3rd gear and up or when pulling a trailer. The transmission has been serviced with transynd shifts with no problems. The truck has been gone through to check motor mounts, drive shafts, rearend and ride height with no problems. I was recommended to replace the damper inside the torque converter. Can broken damper springs cause this condition?
Accelerate through the vibration range, select neutral, back off the throttle and coast back through the vibration range. If the vibration is still there, you probably have a driveline issue. If the noise goes away, its something else. Damper is a possibility.

dbarton291

raynorshine;73860 said:
It was suggested to me elsewhere that a MT643 will help with the problem, but this is still a 4 speed and I suspect will still top out at too low of a speed.
Thanks
Bruce
If you want to, go to the local Allison distributor and run yourself an iSCAAN on the vehicle with an MT643. You give iSCAAN the vehicle specs and it will tell you what the vehicles top speed, gradeability, startability, etc. will be. The MT643 does have a lockup clutch in the converter, and the AT does not. That will give you additional top speed. The iSCAAN will tell you how much.

CC83

dbarton291;74030 said:
Yes it can. You have to get the right torque converter, the right adaptation hardware to mate it to the engine, and set up a throttle position sensor so the trans knows how to modulate its shifts. It is expensive, but it can be done.

TYVM dbarton

thats what i was told by a allison tech a few years ago, the last allison dealer i ask said no way,

:)

03Renegade

I notice the vibration only when I have my foot on the accelerator. If you coast it is not there. The sound or vibration does not change in pitch changing gears. The sound stays with the engine rpms not the drivetrain rpm's. The engine has been checked with no problems and the transmission shifts fine.

03Renegade

Join Date Sep 2004
Posts 2 Allison Transmission Questions
Hello AllisonMan,

I have a HD 4060 with retarder (year 2000 and 40,000 miles)that makes a growling noise when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. The Allison Dealer would not accept that this was a transmission problem. Required drive shaft being pulled to check balance and u-joints. Also checked alignment of drive line requiring visit to manufacturer. Reprogammed the transmission shift points. Finally agreed that we could not find a problem external to the transmission. He is now putting in a rebuilt transmission (not a new one). The new shift points move the 4th gear closer to 3rd and moved the 5th gear closer to 6th. I have asked that the shift points be reprogrammed to their original settings. He tells me that once the shift points are change they cannot be reversed. Is this correct. Jimlin This sounds like the same problem I have. I would hate to have to replace the whole unit when it was only a torque converter.

HeatAir

dbarton291;73557 said:
On the right side of the transmission case there's a name plate. It should have what you need. Some of the later units only have a serial number. If it begins with 065, it's a 3000 series, or an MD transmission. If it begins with 063, it's most likely a 2000 series transmission, 066, it's a 4000 series transmission.

This is what was written on the plate on the side of the Tranny:

05H12
TI03

Greek to me.

encantotom

i have an 4060hd tranny. it is coupled with a series 60 ddec4 with 500 hp and 1550 torque. the tranny seems to be rated at 525hp and 1550 torque. this is in my 2002 newell coach. i know many truckers boost the hp and torque on the ddec4, but it appears that the tranny is already maxed out? is that right?

thanks

tom

dbarton291

encantotom;75895 said:
i have an 4060hd tranny. it is coupled with a series 60 ddec4 with 500 hp and 1550 torque. the tranny seems to be rated at 525hp and 1550 torque. this is in my 2002 newell coach. i know many truckers boost the hp and torque on the ddec4, but it appears that the tranny is already maxed out? is that right?

thanks

tom

The new 4000HS transmissions are rated higher, but there's been a lot of advancement in controls since 2002. There's probably some other product changes since then also. I think it would be risky to boost the engine. Just my opinion.

encantotom

Hd4000mh

hi, the documentation my coach came with shows the HD4060HD transmission. however i took a picture of the plate on the transmission itself and it shows HD4000MH. i called the local Allison dealer and they looked up my serial number and they confirmed it is a HD4000MH. they looked the spec's up and said it is good up to 625hp and 1950 ft/lbs of torque. so much more than the tranny i thought i had.

they told me that taking the power up on the series 60 should be no issue with this tranny. newell must have put an old datasheet in the packet.

so do you agree that it would be ok to boost the power up on the engine?, tranny wise?

thanks

tom

dbarton291

encantotom;75988 said:
hi, the documentation my coach came with shows the HD4060HD transmission. however i took a picture of the plate on the transmission itself and it shows HD4000MH. i called the local Allison dealer and they looked up my serial number and they confirmed it is a HD4000MH. they looked the spec's up and said it is good up to 625hp and 1950 ft/lbs of torque. so much more than the tranny i thought i had.

they told me that taking the power up on the series 60 should be no issue with this tranny. newell must have put an old datasheet in the packet.

so do you agree that it would be ok to boost the power up on the engine?, tranny wise?

thanks

tom

This is just my free opinion. Boosting power in a vehicle of this class may contain unknown risks. It's not like doing the same thing to a car. The HD is available with several torque converter models that are chosen based on several factors. Boosting the engine power may affect what TC would be right for the combination. Cooling parameters, max turbine torque, max output torque, startability, gradeability, etc. can all be affected. Allison uses a computer program to calculate all these things when the engine/converter combination is released for production at the OEM. I don't mean to be alarmist, but it's your choice. People have done it in the past, you just have to be careful.

Bill 340

OK here is a weird one, series 60, 746 Allison provost 1994, starts and runs fine, put in gear step on throttle it comes to a complete stop, still running, just wont move, will Idle along about 1/5 mph. reverse the same, was running fine earlier today, then decided at every stop light it would bog WAY down and finally pick up and run fine, for about 30 miles, THEN decided it will not play anymore, and now , every time you step on the pedal forward or backward it stops SUDDENLY. put in neutral and rev it up fine, put it in any gear and it wont rev past 1,000 or move in either direction.let it idle in gear and it seems fine, Now this afternoon backing up to the shop when in reverse the rear drive axle locked and jumped a little, It will move at an idle, but the second you touch the throttle it stops dead, let off the pedal and it moves freely,today checked drain plug and oil is DARK but full, it has a TERRIBLE SMELL, seems thick, has not been changed in 20,000 mi that I have had it, need suggestions where to look,Also now that the engine and trans cooled down overnite, it seems to run fine, so it must be when it warms up after aprox 60-70 mi.

Triple E

Yes it help. I had a similar problem but it was with the HUEI on a CAT 3126. Hopefully Db will be on the site soon and he will be able to answer you question. He travels a lot so may be a day or two. Good luck.

dbarton291

Bill 340;76234 said:
OK here is a weird one, series 60, 746 Allison provost 1994, starts and runs fine, put in gear step on throttle it comes to a complete stop, still running, just wont move, will Idle along about 1/5 mph. reverse the same, was running fine earlier today, then decided at every stop light it would bog WAY down and finally pick up and run fine, for about 30 miles, THEN decided it will not play anymore, and now , every time you step on the pedal forward or backward it stops SUDDENLY. put in neutral and rev it up fine, put it in any gear and it wont rev past 1,000 or move in either direction.let it idle in gear and it seems fine, Now this afternoon backing up to the shop when in reverse the rear drive axle locked and jumped a little, It will move at an idle, but the second you touch the throttle it stops dead, let off the pedal and it moves freely,today checked drain plug and oil is DARK but full, it has a TERRIBLE SMELL, seems thick, has not been changed in 20,000 mi that I have had it, need suggestions where to look,Also now that the engine and trans cooled down overnite, it seems to run fine, so it must be when it warms up after aprox 60-70 mi.

Sounds to me like the torque converter stator may be freewheeling backward. Extremely low stall speed, no power, yet engine revs fine in neutral. Burnt oil. I'd drop the pan and look to see what's in the bottom, then decide if the trans should come out.

I was going to say the engine return to idle function may be malfunctioning due to a misadjusted switch, but this is only used on city buses that kneel, to my knowledge.

cowboy8669

Ive got an rv with allison and i get up to 20 miles an hr up a small incline the transmission light comes on and i have to reset gear to start over then it repeats itself . At first id get over 70 and it would just die thought it was a governer but thats not the case also if i turn my head lights on it will make the transmission light come on before I reach 20 more like 5

Triple E

cowboy8669;76376 said:
Ive got an rv with allison and i get up to 20 miles an hr up a small incline the transmission light comes on and i have to reset gear to start over then it repeats itself . At first id get over 70 and it would just die thought it was a governer but thats not the case also if i turn my head lights on it will make the transmission light come on before I reach 20 more like 5

Hello Cowboy and welcome to RVUSA.

Which Allison transmission do you have,year and model??? What is the fluid level at and when was the last time the fluid and filters were change?

Multimedia

Hi
I have a MD 3060 ECM and my selector switch is blank and i have tried a different ECM and also a different selector and still no good at the moment the truck wont start and the (Check Transmission Light is on ) anyone have the same problem how do i resolve the issues.

cowboy8669

believe its the 3000 shifter butons on a dutch star . fluid levels are fine new filter . but the lights shouldnt effect that should it