Allison Transmission Questions

AllisonMan

OOfxdx,
I would not install an exhaust brake on an AT545. I was trying to state that if one was installed, it would do no harm. My opinion is not to install them on an AT because of no lockup. You are correct to downshift your transmission and watch the heat. A temp gauge is always a good idea in any AT500 transmission. Rule of thumb is, whatever gear you use to go up the hill, select that gear to go down. Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

icrman,
No harm no foul. buds? At least you challenged me! kudos. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

hfletcher,
Thank you for those kind words. I'm not going anywhere. I did write another answer to you letting you know that it will work, it will be tough to fit, but I will be honest, I do not go into what type of fuel mileage or any specifics on horsepower, but i can get you in touch with someone who can answer these. Please, E-mail me at work and I will forward his e-mail. rfranzen@pacificdda.com. Thanks again bud and have a wonderful day! :)

AllisonMan

mistaVR4,
No material is needed for the LCT transmission. Just pull the drain plug. Remove the pan and save the gasket it is re-usable. just leave the internal filter in because you do not change this unless an overhaul is needed, clean the pan, install it torquing the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. remove the spin on filter and be careful to save the magnet that will be stuck to the filter, put the magnet onto the filter. install the filter and add APPROX 3 GAL. OF DEXRON OR Transynde, (next step we would do is to flush the cooler by removing the cooler return line and with someone inside, start the truck and watch the fluid to see when the darker fluid turns clear than an additional 2 qts. this will flush your cooler. add another 2 qts and then start and check. adjust fluid to just below the hot add line. Dexron expands when heated. drive to warm up and re-check the fluid.
I hope this helps. Thanks for the question and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Mike3342,
Cool my fellow guild member! To bad in the midwest because I'd buy you a drink at the Allison First Line meeting in Vegas (of course all drinks are free LOL) Have a great day and thank you! :)

AllisonMan

tbfisher,
You are right on. the sump temp is about 20-30 degrees lower than what your gauge will read. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

hfletcher,
The amount of torque you will get at the rear wheels is not only determined by gear ratios but the most important factor is the torque converter ratio. Even though you have an MT, it has to be engineered to work with the engine and differential.The torque converter ratio determines how much power it takes to move those big ol wheels. Just wanted to throw another hat in this subject hehe. Have a wonderful day! :)

AllisonMan

dogvetia,
My opinion is that you have a stuck valve in the valve body or a bad solenoid. The reason for no codes is that these problems are mechanical and sometimes we overlook the mechanical and go right to the electrical. I would bet replacing the solenoid and sorry I am at home and cant think which one without looking in my troubleshooting manual, and cleaning the VB will fix this problem Let meknow how it turns out. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

polecat,
Have them check the dipstick calibration. Since ATF expands, it seems to be an oil level problem. Another solution may be if you have not had it serviced within specifictions. The old oil will do odd things especially on an LCT. Transynde would be a good way to go, This synthetic oil actually makes the transmission run smoother because the viscosity does not break down for many many miles. Let me know how it turns out. Have a great day! :)

tbfisher

AllisonMan said:
>You are right on. the sump temp is about 20-30 degrees lower than >what your gauge will read. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks again for the info. So which temp should I be more concerned
about? For example, in typical stop and go traffic, my dash tranny temp goes as high as 230F. When it does this at a stoplight, I shift into neutral, run the RPMs up a bit and it promptly drops 20deg.
Is this typical or anything to concerned about?
Tom Fisher
Dallas,TX

polecat

Allison Man....thanks for your reply....it was shipped new with transynd and I've kept up with filter/transynd changes recommended by Allison...are there any "temp" sensors that could be exposed to the elements? I've heard they have a sensor that will downshift if the temp gets to high as a safety feature...maybe its defective?? Thanks, Larry

tbfisher

AllisonMan, I think I may have answered my own question by
RTFM(of all things!)
On page 38 it clearly states that the tranny is considered oveheated when ANY of the temps are exceeded:
Sump 250F
Fluid to cooler 300F
Retarder out fluid 330F
Since my dash temp sensor is located in a tee on the outlet of the tranny, is this the 'Fluid to cooler' temp?
Thanks again for your help.
Tom Fisher
Dallas,TX

Here an opinion from the Netherlands. I enjoy your contributions a great lot! I learned very much already (found this forum only in October 2004) by reading all the information from you. I so learned to know the website of Allison where I learned much about operating the transmission. My former Fleetwood (gas engine 1994) had no such an electronic operated transmission by knobs on the dash. And because I am coming to Florida next February to buy a pre-owned diesel pusher to take to Europe it’s very nice to learn from the now a days possibilities. And what to look for. I am impressed with the time you spend in your own free time. Any boss would wish he had personnel that kind caring for there job and clients. Go on man, your great. And thank you. Hans :laugh: (Rotterdam, Holland)

Pool973

Allisonman,

I know this is kind of off topic but maybe you can help, I have a 1996 International 4700 with the 7.3 and an allison 542, the 542 slips and bangs into gear. I have a 545 that a buddy gave me from a gas engine truck, can I use this trans as a swap? is there some way I can convert this trans to be used if not an exact swap?BTW the 4700 is setup as a Dump truck, with electric dump, so no PTO.

Thanks

Chuck

gulfstar73

allisonman
i just finnished a month long trip turned into my driveway and the transmission went to first gear and locked
the controler windows showed ther #1 in one window and the other window was blank the dash had a warning that said dont shift and it wouldnt start
the coach is a holiday rambler with a cummins 230
i shut the battery switch off but the controler light stayed on #1
i then disconned the battery with that the controler went blank
i then reconnected the battery and the controller looked normal and the coach would start it shifted into foward and 1st just fine
i drove it about 50 feet and tried to back it beside my garage and it looked in first again
please help thanks in advance dave

van2001ko

quote: hfletcher,
The amount of torque you will get at the rear wheels is not only determined by gear ratios but the most important factor is the torque converter ratio. Even though you have an MT, it has to be engineered to work with the engine and differential.The torque converter ratio determines how much power it takes to move those big ol wheels. Just wanted to throw another hat in this subject hehe. Have a wonderful day!

Hello again. So the higher the TC ratio the more power that pass to the wheels? So a 275HP engine~ 890ft lb of torque on a torque converter of 2:1 it will have over 1780LB FT on the wheels at hand?