Allison Transmission Questions

hfletcher

Dang you, AllisonMan!!!! I hope you come back. I really don't believe it's a concern if it takes you a while to reply. If you don't, however, hat's off to ya, old man!!!

AllisonMan

JonnyT,
Have you tried the pressing the Mode button on your shifter? This will lower your shift points slightly. Let me know. Thanks and have a :) great day!

AllisonMan

pathfinderxlt,
please just disconnect your battery power and ground, then you will be able to weld without any concern of baclfeed into the Allison ECU. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

geekdom01,
There is an update to the front support valve and spring. I am at home so I do not have access to my notebooks at work. I think if you look through all my questions, I answered a pick-up owner on the same subject. Try allisontransmission.com and the is a section called FAQ's which answers many pick-up questions. This is rare, unless the dipstick is not calibrated correctly, this is a great transmission for picups. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

PaulSebra,
GO FOR THE MD3060! The AT does not have lockup and causes more heat. The MD is one of the best Allisons out there. Have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

srakenl,
I think you must have an MT643. I will need to know what transmission you have. There is a tag looking from the rear of the transmission, on the right rear of the transmission. With that information, I can tell you what the max hsp. and torque can be for that model. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Guys,
This is hard since I do not know what engine you have. I have seen up to 12 MPG in some motorhomes, it all depends on how you drive, where you drive. This model does have a 1:1 ratio in high gear and also lockup so it does well. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

sepislib,
By increasing horsepower, you will also need to check into the cooling system and TC ratios. An Allison distributor should be able to give you a pamhlet all about the pros and cons of increasing horsepower and if they can not, send me an E-mail to work with your address and I will send one to you in the mail. Thanks and have agreat day! :)

AllisonMan

Guysnder,
You can easily repair a front end leak with out rebuilding the transmission. The only transmissions that have front leaks and need rebuild are the World transmissions because the front bushings get worn with debris and wears the front bushing. What I suspect in your transmission is it is common for a DT466 to rattle the flexplate nuts loose and that makes the studs on the tc wear out and leak from them. My suggestion would to be remove the transmission, pull the pan and inspect to see if any debris out of the ordinary is in the (more than teaspoon is what I go by) then tear down to the front support and inspect the sungear bushings. They should be able to determine at this point, not guess, that your transmission is good or needs OH. With that many miles, it may have bad sun shaft bushings, but check first. Thanks and have a great day!

AllisonMan

st687,
The only problem I have with changing to synthetic and flushing the cooler with a machine is that the torque converter has about 1 1/2 gallons of oil in it that the machine does not flush out. I recomend the hose flush method. Thanks and have a great :) day!

mikevan

Allison Man,

Thanks for all of your information and insight. Your thread has saved me time and money. Hope to stop by and shake your head on my next trip north on I5.

Regards,

Mike Van Meter

pathfinderxlt

:( Sorry to see you go. Thanks for the information :laugh: Reliable information is hard to find :angry: With all the trouble I've read just on this one forum I can see why you are so busy at your shop :laugh: thanks again, Rich B.

Helocfi

Hi Folks,
I just found this forum and need the help of someone in the know. I have a 1994 motorhome with a Spartan chassis. It has a 230 Cummins and an Allison MD3060 Transmission.

The transmission has 100K miles on it and it just started down-shifting very hard when I let off the pedal. Downshifts were smooth until just a few miles back.

Any idea of what to look for or do I need to take it to the shop over 100 miles away?

Thanks for any help.

Lil Truckr

I can see AllisonMans reason to bow out but what a shame he had to do so. I just found this forum, and like many other RVers with an Allison Transmission, I have questions for his expert mind. Boy if he could be persuaded him to come back, or find another soul with that much experience and knowledge, please bring them on.

From what I read he sure brought tons of great info to this forum. :disapprove:

If nothing else, Thank you AllisonMan for your help in the past. I read every question and posting and learned much. Thanks again.

Artanisman

allison man,

Im in the planning stage of a 1986 k5 blazer project. I want decent fuel economy and I think an Allison LCT-1000 would be a good choice for me. I also want to use a small block chevy v8. I want to build it with a world castings aftermarket block and heads. Is there any way to bolt a Chevy small block to an allison LCT-1000? Thanks in advance.

avalanche girl

Hello Allison Man,
What a coincidence it is to find a thread such as this one!!! I was doing an internet search on Allison transmissions. I am in WT service training in Kent this week (great class!). Hey, are you the guy in the video about filter and oil changes that we watched yesterday? I would like to take the up coming overhaul class in Ridgefield. Will you be there? I'm going to run it by the boss tomorrow.
Christina

AllisonMan

Helocfi,
Sounds like your tps (throttle position sensor that mounts to your throttle lever) has become disconnected or is failing. Thanks and have a great dya! :)

AllisonMan

Avalanchegirl,
Yes I am in Ridgefield. No that video was filmed in Kent I believe but we did a major instructional video here in Ridgefield. It will only be shown in Dans class. I look forward to meeting you! We have a wonderful female mechanic here also. Have a great day! :)

Lil Truckr

AllisonMan boy are there going to be a bunch of happy people to see you back. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: