Allison Transmission Questions

Bruce81

Allison Man,

I have rebuilt an Allison 545 in a street sweeper with a diesel engine. After it get warm it does not want to shift out of second gear and it does not appear to be a governor issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce81

Allison Man,

I have rebuilt an Allison 545 in a street sweeper with a diesel engine. After it get warm it does not want to shift out of second gear and it does not appear to be a governor issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bruce

beaver

Hi Allison man,
I was working my 1997 Beaver Monterey today and I found a fluid leak coming from the forward end, driver’s side of the transmission above the oil pan. It appears to be coming from the area where a wire bundle plugs into a control module. It is not a huge leak but it has wet the front face of the oil pan plus a modest area on the pavement. It must be a new leak as there is no other drip area on my parking slab.

Will the leak increase? How would I go about repairing the leak? Are there O rings on the electrical Plug? Thanks for the help.

tomcs

Allison Man:

I have a 1989 Ford F 700 diesel with an Allison 545 transmission. I have not had the truck long. The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt 5 or 6 years ago and never had it serviced. I have changed the filter in the pan, the cannister filter on the back of the transmission and new fluid.
The transmission engages in reverse just fine, but takes a while before it will engage in drive. Once it does, it shifts great.
Any ideas?

Tomcs

icrman

I don't have info on a 545, It could be the forward clutch seal or seal ring leaking some. A pressure test would show it.

team3360

hi bethdale I read your question about your trans problem and was wondering what the dealer found the problem to be . I have '02 and have the same problem after a dealer in florida (while on vacation )installed a reman trans 2 weeks ago same problem with both transmissions. any help would be greatly appreiated thanks in advance LEE

smity1373

I have a CAT300 in my Safari. It has an allison transmission. After the bus has been sitting for a few days, the transmission dosen't seam to want to let me climb out of a parking spot. If I park on a slight incline or have to go up an incline right after starting up the bus it dosen't want to move. Do I have a transmission problem?

smity1373

I have a CAT300 in my Safari. It has an allison transmission. After the bus has been sitting for a few days, the transmission dosen't seam to want to let me climb out of a parking spot. If I park on a slight incline or have to go up an incline right after starting up the bus it dosen't want to move. Do I have a transmission problem?

smity1373

Bush70

Probably not. It is common for that to happen when a Allison is cold on start up. Our trucks do it all the time and my motothome does it also.
Good luck

evelyn8789

Hi AllisonMan, I am looking for a part #. We have a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup w/industrial V6 351. After some fooding in our area we hit a fire extinghisher and killed the flexplate. Without a part # our search for a replacement part has been difficult. Any help would be most appreciated.

evelyn8789

Hi AllisonMan, I am looking for a part #. We have a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup w/industrial V6 351. After some fooding in our area we hit a fire extinghisher and killed the flexplate. Without a part # our search for a replacement part has been difficult. Any help would be most appreciated.

evelyn8789

evelyn8789

evelyn8789

evelyn8789

evelyn8789

team3360

"Allison man" is not answering his tread anymore , he has retired , If you read back in his replies his email is there,you can email him questions, Also You can go back and delete multiple replies by clicking on the icon below each reply with the trash can .

vandermeyj

92 Safari, Cummings 5.9. Allison 6 speed auto Not sure of the model. Starts right…Idles fine in neutral. As soon as I put it in gear it dies. I hit the gas and was able to jerk the coach 5 feet…doesn’t look like the front wheels moved…Its as if the Parking Break doesn’t disengage.
(A few weeks ago we had it towed with some problems ended up a transmission leak. They replaced hoses and it seemed perfect. Drove it to the campsite…. End of the weekend try to leave and can't….

I did push the 2 arrows at the same time… I do not think that there were any codes. (im now home coach is 200 miles away so I can not try it again for a week..Im not retired) The red light did not come on…everything seems normal until I put it in gear. The "6" shows up on the left side of the screen and then when the "1" shows up on the right side……it dies.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for the consideration.