Allison Transmission Questions

GMCallways

Hello again allisonman, I wrote a couple months ago about some problems with the tranny in my pickup. Well the other day I took it to the local Chevy dealer and told them what it was doing and asked them to check the valves and solenoids. All they did was run the computer on it and call me to say that nothing was wrong with it because there was no codes. Well I told them to put it in to tow\haul and step on the gas pretty hard going up a hill and they would know what im talking about. So they called me back and said, yep its messed up allright. They told me that it gave them the code PO733 and that they called the tec line and they were told that c1 thru c4 are going out and the reason it only happens in tow\haul is because it is still in the early stages of going out. Well they gave me some prices on a overhaul and on a allready rebuilt one. around $4000 for both. Both were way to expensive for me. So my question is. Is there an aftermarket clutch kit that I can buy for a halfway decent price and also a very detailed overhaul book for the allison 1000. Or should I get a second opinion from a different trans shop? By the way, the trans has 140,000 miles on it. That dont seem like alot for an allison.
PS. Now I can feel it sliping with out it being in T\H and when going from reverse to drive.
Thanks for any advise.

barbicj

Hello AllisonMan

My VDO speedometer read 10-15 mph when the coach is stopped and reads 5-10 mph faster than the actual speed when moving. The transmission is an Allison MD3060. Can you tell me where the speed sensor is located? Is it removable from outside the transmission?

Thanks
Jack

tommyruso

HELP PLEASE allison man i have a 92 coachman royal and it has a spartan chassis and a cummins 8.3 it has a tec 2 allison md 6030 it works perfectly when the tempature is above 40 degrees when it gets colder than 40 it acts up. i turn the key on and regardless if i start it or not it the do not shift light comes on i see to N N on the lcd display for only 3 seconds and than the display goes blank and stays that way and i can not get a display to come back to the lcd until the tempature comes back up to 40 degrees outside . it does not matter if i start it and warm it up or how many times i try to restart it the lcd stays blank and the shift pad does not work at all.when it was warm it works perfectly the other day it went to 45 and i was driveing it and i pushed both arrows at once and it flashed d 1 and than 6 9 and than 3 2 i held the mode button down and cleared it . i turned it off and restarted it and drove it again and i hit the arrows buttons again and i only see two - - i think that means i cleared the codes and it is not codeing any thing now. so i thought i fixed it when i got the codes to clear. so the next day it got cold again and i went out to start it and it did the same old thing again i turned on the key and the do not shift light lite and the two N N went blank so it happened again if u have any ideas please let me know i was i heavy traffic and the pad went dead on me when the tempature dropped and i almost got killed . it is very dangerous when it goes out thanks . tom rousseau 1-734-578-2872

CajunChris

Hi ALL,
I'm in the process of building a car carrier. The truck is a '41GMC cab over mounted on an extended Chevy 1 ton chassis.I plan on mounting a Cummins from a 91 Dodge mid frame. I would like to put an Allison Automatic Transmission. What do you suggest. The cummins has no electonics ........can you help? And where can I find one? Please help me get this project rolling!
CajunChris

RoReR714

Big time Allison noob question? Just purchased a 2003 2500hd with a 8.1 v8. The salesman said it was equipped with an allison transmission. But i dont know if i believe him! Is there any way i can confirm this for myself? Thx in advance! Have a nice day!

geekdom01

If you have a 8.1l and its equipped with an automatic then it has to be the allison. You have two choices in transmissons when deling with chevrolets 8.1l or duramax; Allison 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. If you are still skeptical then climb under your truck and look at how dang big your transmission is.

B. Smith

AllisonMan, I have a '96 MD3060 in a motorhome and have a "SERVICE" code showing up in the selector window just beneath the MODE tag. I have done a diagnostic check and the codes shown are "d 1,2 1, and 1 2. Can you tell me what these codes mean and what can I do to get the code eliminated? Also what is ment by TPS. Thanks, B. Smith

beaver

Hi Allison Man,

Our ‘97 Monterey will have 75,000 miles on it when the next transmission oil and filter change is due. We currently use Dextron 3, does it make any sense to change to the synthetic Transynd
Fluid at this point? I understand that it would require a second change after 50, 000 miles to come to a 100% synthetic Transynd. At that rate our coach would have 125,000 miles for a 50% mix and 175,000 for 100% synthetic Transynd.

Thanks,
The Beave

JonnyT

I have 1996 Foretravel with the the Allison MD3060R. :laugh: I took it in to an Allison Distributor in Grand Rapids, MI and they hooked the unit up to a machine that pumped in NEW TRANSYND until it came out the other end into the machine, thereby exchanging ALL of the previous transmission oil. They installed a new style filter set and told me to run it 75,000 miles and then change the two filters again and top off the TRANSYND and run it ANOTHER 75,000 MILES before totally exchanging the fluid again. This procedure which included additional fluid for my Alliston Retarder cost $600. Since I tow a 24' trailer in the mountains, I felt going to TRANSYND was the THING TO DO. So far (15000MI) no problems. I doubt if I will EVER have to change the fluid again. Regards,

washa

I am in need of expert Allison Transmission troubleshooting advice.

I own a 1998 Freightliner FL50, w/CAT 3126 & Allison 3060. I use it for towing a 5th wheel. On a recent trip, and approximately 28,000 miles the Check Trans light came on and the transmission locked in 4th gear. In telephone conversation with an Allison repair facility, I was walked through a procedure that showed a diagnostic code of d1-5655. I was told to pull over, stop, and restart my engine, and the transmission would reset. This happened about 10 times intermittently for about 1,000 miles. I took it to an authorized Allison shop in San Leandro, CA. They said a “tone wheel” was loose inside the transmission. For $1,200 a part of the transmission was overhauled – new parts including sensors, bearings, seals, etc. were installed; plus I lost use of my truck for over a week.

On a trip two weeks ago, and at about 600 miles down the road (from the completed repair), the Check Trans light came on again. The onboard diagnostic read: d1-5655. It occurred six times within 150 miles. Each time I would pull over, stop and restart the engine; hoping to get to an Allison repair facility over 100 miles away without a tow. Then the problem cleared up – I was able to cross mountain ranges working through all the gears and traveled over 400 miles; getting home without any more “Check Trans” incidents.

I called another Allison repair facility and was told that there is nothing that can be done until the conditions causing the problem are repeatable. So far, a possible common thread to the conditions are that the truck is decelerating from 55-60 MPH (6th gear) and the transmission is trying to downshift. However, on one occasion we were entering a shopping center and were decelerating at something less than 55-60 MPH and the transmission locked in 3rd gear.

Now after getting home, I have taken the truck on local roads without the trailer to see if the problem surfaces. Sure enough, it is occuring again. I'm going to take it back to the local Allison shop to have them take another look. Hopefully, when they get the truck they can get the transmission to fault.

If anyone else had this problem, I would appreciate hearing about the fix. If not, I hope I can get this fixed soon and share the resolution with you.

legrandnhb

HI... I'm stuck in Moab, Utha since monday morning with a cummins B 5.9 230 H.P. engine not starting after a "stupid dash lite "do not shift" would not extinguish !
Shutting the engine and then trying to restart it, the Allison transmission keypad blew up in flames!
I'm trying to find that "keypad" ! Thanks
Normand (819) 574-7762 & e-mail is " legrandnhb@yahoo.com
Thanks

legrandnhb

TextText
Hi Allisonman, what would have caused my "do not shift" dash lite not to extingusih, and further more, the MD 3060 keypad was not lite and would not accept any selection, from neutral to D or to R or even the Mode button !
Thanks
btw, I'm still looking for that full assembly key pad box, 2 out of 3 printed circuit boards were partially overheated due to that problem

rJ

good morning allision man. im new to this forum.
i have a 1995 rv with a 1995 cummins 5.9L 230hp and allision 3060.
i had an issue the other day. when i came to a complete stop , about to put her away in the drive way. i pushed the R to back her up and the allision elec starting blinking. no message just a blinking R.
the trans would not engage. i shut her down for a few seconds.
after starting her up she engaged?
i did the diagostics. pushing both errors to find out what the issue might be and i got the 50. rpm to low?
she's running at 650. cummins recommends between 600 and 700 rpm.
any ideas.
robertjenny@sbcglobal.net
thanks for any help
Robert

rJ

Allison man after checking the troubleshooting page i found im getting the
d1
which means to check the following.

1. Check:
a. TPS connector is properly connected.
b. End of TPS cable is pulled out properly.
c. Engine fuel lever is in idle position.
d. Engine fuel lever provides proper amount of stroke on TPS cable.
e. Wiring harness to TPS has no opens, shorts between wires, or shorts to ground.

2. If able, replace TPS.

3. If all points check, call distributor.
Im not sure where the tps is?
what should i expect to pay for the replcae of this item if need be?
thanks for any info
Robert
robertjenny@sbcglobal.net

ruffian

Have a allison transmission in an 2000 Intrigue. When running down the road transmission runs and shifts good. The problem is when I come up to a traffic stop and the tramsmission down shifts about 5 to 10 MPH the tramsmission downshifts extremely hard. When I start up and go up through the gears it runs fine. I have checked the trans fluids and are full. Have 34000 on this transmission

DRF

While I am not an RV'r I think you might be able to help me. I am in the process of converting an older garbage truck into a feed wagon for the feedlot. It has an Allison 653 and I want to put a Dana hot shift PTO on it. I need two pressure oil feeds, one for PTO lube and one for the clutch. My local dealer doesn't have 'antique' instructions and I would like to know where to plumb these lines into the trannie. Thanks very much for whatever help and advice you may have.

swampfoot

hey allisonman,
is it ok to use rotella t30 motor oil in a allison v730 tranny?
thanx,mike

mrwebman

legrandnhb:

Unfortunately, Allisonman said he's not coming back so I thought I would let you know that I had a similiar problem with my MD3060. I contacted Ted Keating at TKT Sales and he's been very helpful with technical tips and troubleshooting info. If it turns out that you need an ECU or VIM he sells and programs them, both used and new. He quoted me $900 for a used one - new ones are about $2300 I'm told. His e-mail address is ted@tktsales.com or you can contact him through his website at http://tktsales.com.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Dennis

93' Gulf Stream Tourmaster
Jeep Overland toad

ADDED: Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a used ECU from them this morning and it works perfectly! They just saved me close to $2,100!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

My 04 GMC is set with Hypertech at +50hp. I just towed 12,000lb. 600 miles with no problems. Hypertech does not call +90hp "tow safe" without exhaust gauges, and them you have to be careful. I would suggest you drop to 50 and your problems might go away. You do have to be more carful in hot weather, but you did not say heavy your trailer was, our trucks are rated at 15,700lb. towing fifth wheels.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yes, mine smokes at the high setting also. See just a little at 70 and hardly any at 50. If you see a truck smoking, it is turned up.